Bleeding Snails

kbird

My two tanks are now infested with small snails. I have been trying unsuccessfully to breed two pair of Kribensis who have made their home in upturned flower pots. . Would the snails possibly eat any eggs laid or if present inside the pots, prevent the Kribs from spawning?

I would get a couple clown loaches and not worry about chemicals.

Give them a couple of weeks and you will see a noticable decline in the wretched snails.

I don't think the snails are big enough to cause too much trouble with your Kribs breeding

Don't overlook Yo-yo loaches. Saw them grub DOWN on snails I drop in the tank from the discus tank. That tank remains snail free no matter how many snails I drop in there. Wanna get some clown loaches for the other tank, but don't want my ramshorns to get eaten.

Okay...I am confused :-? :-? ...what a surprise... :lol: :lol:

Why do you want to get rid of the snails? I can see not wanting THAT many, wow sucked up about a 100, that's alot of snails.

I've seen snails for sail here...so what's the scoop on snails then?

Hi Caper,

Refer my original question regarding the effects of snails on breeding. I have no feeling towards them one way or another but the tank is absolutely swarming with them. I have now introduced an Angelicus loach who only 10 mins later was chomping down on them.

Cheers

Don't worry I won't charge you any extra for my snail infestation :P - The kribs shouldn't have any trouble spawning - I see mine picking them up and carting them off to a bit further away from the nest. If you squash them between your fingers the Kribs and others will eat them - but I havn't managed to train them to eat the live ones - I might have to borrow that loach :P

So, if not for the breeding issue, would you still want snails in your tank?

When I went to see if I could get ottos, the guy suggested snails, but I don't want them.

Seems like a lot of people are always trying to get of them...but I quess it depends on what kind you have too???

Cheers Tanksman, no your not responsible :D, Un-named LFS. Another LFS squash their's up too, apparently neons love them. If you have a spare day or two you might like to become head squasher :D

Probably best to borrow the Angelicus - $29.50 each :evil:

Hi kbird, the Angelicious are a hard out loach all right, i bought my 2 for $25.95 each at HFF, have to say i think they are better looking than the Clowns although one seems to bully some of the other loaches a bit except for the clowns because they are bigger, i have no snails in the tank but snails aren't silly they now breed in the filter :o :evil: , it's an Aqua One AR 850 so the filter is on top, they dont like it when i soak the filter pads in boiling water though :lol:

snowman , make sure that " boiling" water is de chlorinated, otherwise bye bye bio.. :(

kbird , throw a shunk loach in there , less aggressive and are nazi's with snails. :D

caper , hold out for the otto's , but get 6 at least , they like grouping. :wink: