Ozzy Fighters

Billaney

Hi

We just spent a holiday in Oz and had to do the local fish shops and i must say they had some really nice guppies, cichlids and heaps of fighters but i really hated the way they keep them in the shops in smal jars and sometimes even with inserts in the jars to put plants in totally blocking clean air to the fish , resulting in more than one dead fighter , i got in a bit of bother in one shop for pulling all the plant inserts out :P

they was some really nice fighters tho

OzFighters.jpg

yeah...personally i don't get it....fish shops have walls of tanks and although male fighters will kill each other they are a pretty peaceful fish in with others....there are only 'some' other fish that give the fighters a hard time so why can't they put a male fighter in each of the 50 odd tanks (even if you minus the 10 or so that might have incompatable fish)?

In the states, (and probably Australia) you can buy the whole thing as seen above.. tiny octagonal tank (sic), harsh coloured gravel, and betta. Seems quite common for college students in the states to get one for their dorm seeing you can buy em at huge chain stores over there. Funnily enough there are forums around filled with "my betta is dying - help!" threads :-?

There really should be some sort of law regulating the well being of fish in pet shops and stuff. If it were kittens kept in a tiny box they would be all up in arms but because it is a fish people seem to think they don't feel or think!!!

We all know that our fish have feelings of some sort, I mean ours act like we are the ones on display, they recognise us maybe only as the food supply but they know us and don't swim over to the visitors.

There is a lot of different ideas out there on wiether fish have actual thoughts or feel pain but I say I wouldn't like living in a glass prison with absolutly no privacy so I don't see why another living being would.

i saw one worse in Australia, you know the containers that bio suppliers put there fly lavae in (could not be more than 200ml's). Well i saw a wall full of them each having one betta in it. They had a hole cut out of the lid for breathing and that was about it. They could not move up or down and could not turn. It was one of the saddest things i have seen as a fish keeper.

What about protecting them from stress? Ammonia burn? Going insane? It really is very cruel. I wouldn't lock a dog in his kennel 24/7, which is what this is akin to. I think all animals should have at least a small amount of space to flex their muscles/fins/wings. Even if they can survive in a puddle, I'm sure they wouldn't choose to do so.

Cheers,

Vapo

They don't care about that !.

it's all about how many fish they can fit in a box to lower there costs.

The things I could mention about importing tetras would cause your eyes to boulge. I would think it is inbreach of curlty to animals act, but it's not if maf don't know this as they brake the seals on all fish imports :o

Yep. I totally agree Caserole. It's those who buy the fish in these little containers and ignorance of officials that are enabling this treatment. I always say something to shop owners if I don't agree with how they have their fish etc. Mostly they just get this glazed "what-do-you-know?" look in their eye and dismiss it. If it were puppies or kittens, everyone would be up in arms about it. Just because you can't cuddle your fish doesn't they don't have feelings!

Cheers,

Vapo

that sounds like a pet store we have down here. Called Wet Pets in invercargill. Anyone who buys their fish from there have to be mad. There is always at least one dead fish in every tank. The light is so poor you may as well be looking into a dark room on some of the tanks. Then there is the algae! MY LORD! I have never seen such a filthy tank before. To see the fish in the tank you got to look through a corner where the algae isn't and its only by pure luck that the fish come past that corner for you to see them. There are no plants (not even fake) or ordaments in the tanks (east rd has either a plant or little ordament in every tank) the fish are swimming about with a look of BUY ME BEFORE I DIE. The guy that is always there tells you nothing but hot air when it comes to tropical fish. He told me that I needed my tank to be 60% planted before I added any fish or the fish would die. What a pile of fudge is that!

Personaly I would like to report him to the spca but as long as the fish are in water I doubt that they will actualy do anything about it.

But yes I do agree that some people have no idea about the business they run.