Manual Water Changes

Duke3d

mmm, yummy. first problem - I use a peice of garden hose as the diameter is greater and allows faster water flow for the big water changes. second problem - when you fail the first go and end up with water in the hose that more than likely gets to your orfice before the water starts the gravity feed.

You can always fill the hose from a tap then stick your thumbs over both ends. Carry it to the tank, put one end in the tank and the other in the bucket. No mouth full of water.

Of course doing the sucking method is a good way of testing water parameters "Umm... it doesn't taste the same as last week, must be something wrong" :-?

My way of cheating with water changes is to turn on the outside hose and then turn off the spray nozzle (fills the hose with water). Unplug the hose from the tap and drag the spray nozzle end into the house and aquarium. By removing the spray nozzle I have an instant syphon with the water heading into the garden. To full the tank, put the nozzle back on and make sure its off tight, plug in the tap end and turn on then back into the house to turn the nozzle on and full up the tank.

• 2 months later...

For those who want a flexible tube try the new coil hoses at bunnings, warehouse, mitre, etc. over and above there is mikefish" on trade me who creates a cool sump / water changing system which you can buy for around $23,50.

......no more back ackes armed with your coil hose and "super sink pum"