Silver Arowana

Dave363

Hi to everyone,

I have an old Silver Arowana that wont eat, he did this to me last year, went for about 3 months without a thing, now he,s doing it again it gets a bit worrying at times, does anyone know if this is an Arowana Trait, or am I missing something, any help would be great.

Hmmm, three months sounds like a long time, they dont need to be fed every day when they get big, i have read of people feeding once a week.

In the wild they only feed when they need to, as food isnt readily available.

How old is he, he must be big?

We have one about the same size as yours and he is doing the same thing. He does it sometimes when he doesn't like his tank mates or when he is unwell like now.He will go for maybe a month or more eating 3-4 herring everyday then one day he just stops. He went from about Feb to May this time and he grew a litte more. So now I think he started this coz he wants the silver dollars gone, he only lets them in one end of the tank.

Hi Thanks for the reply you could be on to something there, how old is your one? I moved a smaller one from his tank about a month ago he didn,t really like sharing his space, I have another bigger one that is only just 3 years old this one is a ravenous eater anything and everything It will be good to see if this one behaves the same way.

I have no idea how old our one is, he was about 50-60cm when we got him. With me feeding him so much he grew quite quick. Its funny you say yours will eat anything, ours is quite fussy. When ours lived in the petshop Richard said he would eat anything prawns, goldfish, pilchards & mice. But maybe I spoilt him, he really likes the herrings live or dead.I no longer breed mice to feed him which he did like as a treat occasionally. Ours has shared his tank with pacus as well which once they get to a foot long he sulks until they're gone.I'm going into Kaitaia soon and I'm going to see how much the petshop will charge me for a goldfish to feed him. Anyway as cool as he is I'm trying to sell him if you know of anyone. We have other fish(clown knife, bala shark & oscars) that could live in the 7ft tank together so I could get rid of a couple of other tanks.

Sounds like you have the same problem I have, I,m moving shortly and I am contemplating what to do with my fish, I have several tanks but mainly. 2 x 8ft tanks with only 6 fish in them 2 Arowanas an Oscar and a Pleco in one and Arowana and Gourami in the other, when I started out things wern,t meant to get this far.

Theyre addictive.