Skimmer Question - How best too?

Pies

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what is happening is that the skimmer is quite high up so it is feeding quite quick and siphoning the water much quicker than pumping water into it,

So to get the best out of the skimmer I would reduce the water going into it so that the water stays in the skimmer much longer so that you get better contact time.

From what I understand of the articule, the reason they suggest that low flow rate through the skimmer is because the air contact time for some organics is longer (up to two minutes) so if you are running your water through too fast they don't attach to the air bubbles. So running your skimmer fast might pull out a little more of one type (so you get more skim mate) but collects none of some types of organics??

Just how I understood it, I'm far from expert

Cracker - hahaha your well of the mark man :) Get my drift? ;)

There is no water syphoning, its all being pressure filled, just by gravity not a pump. Makes no difference the result is identical.

I've been running it FULL NOISE since Sunday. I'll take a photo of Sunday of the collection cup for you all too see.

Then I will reduce the water throughput down by 50% (to approx 3000lph best guess) and let it run for a week and take another photo.

I can put as much or as little water though as I want. I just want to know what is optimum. Maybee doing week FULL ON and a week in spec is the ultimte? Not sure if there really ever will be an answer.

Piezola

Just to clarify pies,

you are using a iwaki 100 which does about 8400lph at zero head.

so at the moment the pump is running with the ball valve fully open.??

In the photo of your iwaki the ball valve is closed a little???

piesumproom210505_1.jpg

Here is a pic of the skimmer sitting next to the refugium. Note the T off the back. Both the skimmer and the T are feeding directly into the refugium.

The refugium drains into the sump via 2x 25mm Durso stand pipes. On the old tank it was fed by 2x Ehiem 1262s and 1x IWAKI 30RXLT, now fed by the single IWAKI 100. The overflows could not handle any more flow. I have had to 'hone' out the bulkheads to allow for the extra flow.

sump1pies120705.jpg

Here is a zoomed out pic of the whole refugium:

sump2pies120705.jpg

Here is the pic for Reef. Showing water exiting the skimmer into the refugium. It is fair ROARING through threre. This is the 32mm pipe and i've had to put rock in the bottom of the 650mm deep tank to stop it digging a hole in the sand:

sump3pies120705.jpg

Note the light on the tank looks a little odd. I just turned on the halides to take the photos, they don't come on until 11pm for 12 hrs (reverse cycle of the main tank). So they were just warming up.

FYI

SteveA - Note your 2 carpet anemones are doing great. The Blue one was looking very touch and go for a while (the one that stung and stuck to you when you brought it around), but its recovered and both are doing great.

Pie

pies

the article says that its been proven some things take up 2 mins to attach to a bubble.... this is pure chemical engineering stuff.. proven science

you could pas the water through 100 times a day... but if its not going to skim everything out if the average contact time is less then 2 min.......

Peter

Yep thanks Pete and Suphew.

Its acutally been quite a good thread once people started to understand what I was asking.

Very interesting about the 2 min dwell time for some organics. That alone pretty much answers my question.

So what I need now is a 2nd skimmer. One going hard core, the other going slow for MEGA skimming :)

Pie

SteveA - Note your 2 carpet anemones are doing great. The Blue one was looking very touch and go for a while (the one that stung and stuck to you when you brought it around), but its recovered and both are doing great.

Pie

Not eaten any fish then?

I have had the blue one for about 8 years and it has been thru the wars before, having once gone over an overflow weir and got stuck in the output pipe. It was a bit of a mess after that excursion as well. I'll probably use that one for my clown tank, when I set it up. It may not be as bright as the geen one, but it has a history.

2nd skimmer =

a very tall, piece of PVC pipe with some flow from your tank (small flow rate) big airstones...... 8)

That's not a bad idea. Just a cheap DIY air driven counter current skimmer like 6 feet tall or something to skim out the long contact time proteins while the other one skims out the shorter contact time ones.