Butterfly Pleco Spawn!

CatBrat

Course I did Alan_au :D

I will post my full tank details in a minute.

Anyway, sorry for being so slack and not giving an update. The 7 remaining fry are all doing great (except for one which is eating but still has a large clear what I guess empty yolk sac, and it is a smaller size than the others. I don't know whats going on there). The rest are all eating well on boiled lettuce, Corgette, and some of those jbl pleco chips. They are around 1.5-1.8cm at the moment, and their bodies are now fully coloured.

Will try to keep you better posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

OK...the tank set-up...

There is only one male and one female in the tank which is 61cm x 30cm x 30cm (approx. 60 liters). Both fish are around 12-13cmTL. They are very easy to sex, with the male having heavy odontodes growing on the hard ray of it's pectoral fins, and the female having almost none. The spawning site both times has been a tile cave, with the approx measurements of 15cm x 4cm x 4cm.

Other info:

Filtration: 1x 200 lph filter, Powerhead approx. 500 lph (with air attachment thingy)

Temp: 74*f

PH: 6.0

GH: approx 60 (soft)

Ammonia: 0

Substrate: white river sand

Plants: one free floating medium sized Java Fern

Food: I have been feeding them on a mixed diet of bloodworms, tropical flake, and fresh vegetables (including zucchini, yams, and some others).

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update...

Well I lost one of them about a week ago now due to unknown reasons, but the other 6 are looking good. Although I have one "runt" which is only a third the size of the other 5, buts its eating and doing fine.

Here's another pic (sorry not the best quality, but i didnt have much time)...

Resize20days1copy.jpg

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my pair have done it again, they spawned some time last night for their 3rd time :D :D. The male is in his cave guarding the eggs (on the roof of the cave this time), but I still can't really see into the cave, so I don't know how many egg's there are again :roll:.

The 6 fry from my last spawn are still doing well, and my new Bristlenose's have just released their first batch of fry, so I've got pleco babies every where at the moment!!! :D But hey I'm not complaining!

Cheers, CatBrat.

For anyone that is still watching this...

I just finished catching up 30-40 baby's that just hatched tonight. Woohoo!!!! They all look exactly the same as the last babies (ie with slight body pigment, etc), but man I forgot how small they were lol. Hopefully most of them survive the night...and beyond :D

Anyway, the other 6 are still going well. Growing, eating etc.

I will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the official count is 36!! And I haven't lost a single one yet. They have just finished off their yolk sac's, and have now started to eat lettuce and zucchini. Fingers crossed my brother can keep them alive for me this week (I'm going away) :-?, i hope everything will be OK with them…lol, I sound like a mother :D.

I will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 7 months later...

Well my Butterflys have finally done it again. My males in his cave with eggs (I can only see 4 eggs, but the caves in a bad place this time, so I'm confident there is more). I think it must be their new tank, as I moved them into a 100L (75cm x 45cm x 30cm)tank last week (they were in the 2' tank still which was too small for the pair. I didnt even need to trigger them with a water change or anything this time.

Anyway, I will keep you posted...

Cheers, Jake.

LOL, I asked that but accidentally made it a PM. Here's Jakes answer -

I lost most of them when I went away over christmas (went away with 50 came back with 3, lol). I still got those 3 tho and are growing well.

Good luck with this batch and no prolonged vacations this time!!!

Haven't got any pics at this stage sorry.

The babies have hatched now, but it was only a small spawn. I have around 10 babies in the breeder which are still alive (15 or so were dead the morning after I put them in the trap, Im not sure why. I might have been to rough when transfering them, doh).

Will keep you posted, hopefully with some pics if I get around to it.

Cheers, Jake.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Try not moving to young to clear tanks because as bottom feeders it to easy to pick up the wrong bactrica of the bottom.

Try very fine sand at least 20mm thick and add spirulina powder for parents and fry,leave fry with parents.

The tiger whiptails that breed here are still in with parents and now some are 50mm in just over two months old.About 90 odd and not one has died.

Also i think 74 is to low to get blood flowing correctly.my bottom tanks are at least 82 and all the amazon fish did well in to tanks that are more like 84F

I read this from a breeder in usa thats very successful at cat breeding and his key was leave them alone,+ spirulina

Cheers Phill Collis