Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Butterfly Pleco Spawn!

Featured Replies

Well my Butterfly Plecos (L052) have finally done the deed and have spawned :D :D. The male unfortunatly kicked the eggs out (I'm not too sure why, but it is probably because it is his first spawn and isn't sure what to do.), so I have put the eggs in a floating container with an air stone to see if they will hatch (thats if they are even fertile, fingers crossed though).

Here is a pic....

ResizeButterflyEggs-1copy.jpg

I counted 42 eggs in this bunch, and there are a few other lose ones around the tank, so that seems like a pretty good sized spawn.

Cheers, CatBrat.

congrats its good to see some more success's happenig on the rarer plecos!! hope they can keep it up with lots of fertile eggs.

how big & old are the parents now?

  • Author

Thanks guys!

Both the male and the female are around 13cmSL. I got the male about 3 years ago when he was still very small, and i got the female about 2 months ago off Trademe. I am very happy :D.

Cheers, CatBrat.

thats so great mate, im happy for you!!!!!

just look after the babies like i told you to with the golden black eyes b/n,

keep the water clean!! small water changes every day work well.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Hi there,

Sorry, I have been meaning to post an update. Well its not good news really. Only one of the eggs hatched (and that fry only survived about a day) and the rest of the eggs fungused. I'm not too worried about it though, because it was there first spawn, and pleco's can sometimes take a few attempts to get things right.

So hopefully things go better next time...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Try adding some methylene blue next time to fight fungus, the air stone will mix it well. Better luck next time. Usually subsequent spawns work out better anyway as both the eggs and milt (sperm) will be fresher.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Woohoo!!!! I have just found my male guarding another spawn, and he seem's to be doing the right thing this time!! :D:D:D This time the male is in the spawning cave and guarding/fanning the egg's in there, so hopefully I will have more success with this lot of egg's. I can't really see in the cave properly (I had to use a little tourch, and even then I can only see about 1/3 of the way into the cave), so I'm not sure how many egg's are in this spawn.

I will try to keep you better updated this time. Fingers crossed...

Cheers, CatBrat.

  • Author

Just an update...

Not much to say really, other than that the male is still in the cave fanning. I can still only see a couple of eggs (the ones closest to the entrance), so I am hopeful that there are more eggs further inside the cave. I think that they should be hatching in the next day or 2.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

  • Author

Just an update...

I came home from school this afternoon to find the first fry out of the cave :D :D . It is quite large (about 8-9mm, i guess), has a realitively small yolk sac and it seems to be fairly well developed (it already has some body pigment which surprised me).

As far as I can tell this is the only egg to have hatched out so far, as the male is still in the cave fanning, and the few egg's that I can see haven't hatched yet. Apparently the male does not care for the young like male BN's do, rather he just kicks the fry out once they hatch.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Could be perhaps from another batch? Sounds too developed to be newly hatched... dunno though, really. Are they in their own tank?

  • Author

Hi everyone,

I now have 8 fry that are all looking good (this spawn was no where near the size of the lst one, or else a lot of the eggs fungused and the male ate them). Unfortunatly 1 fry died last night and 1 fry died some time today, but the 8 are still looking good.

Could be perhaps from another batch?

Nope, they are all from this spawn. All the fry look the same, and when I caught some up this morning they still had there egg cases attached.

The adults are in there own tank, by themsevles.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Congrats on the octuplets! Best of luck with the next few days, after that you should be worry-free. On the sunny side, you should have another spawn shortly! So are you planning on selling the bubbas when they get big enough?

  • Author

Thanks. If I raise some from this spawn I think that I will keep most of them, just to get a few to breed from later (if I can). But after that I will be selling them.

Cheers, CatBrat.

  • Author

Hey guys,

I thought that I would Just post a couple of pictures of the fry...

My First Ever Baby L052 - 1 hour

Resizeoneday-1.jpg

3 Days Old

ResizeButter-fry-1.jpg

I will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Congrates!!!

Awesome pictures!!!

Use to have a couple myself they really are cool looking plecs.

I'm sure next time when you sell you wont have a problem selling the little suckers!!! :D

C.B.,

Any chance you took note of the temperature, pH, or hardness of your water when they spawned???

Just in case some one else out there might like to try their hand :wink:

Alan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.