Butterfly Pleco Spawn!

CatBrat

Well my Butterfly Plecos (L052) have finally done the deed and have spawned :D :D. The male unfortunatly kicked the eggs out (I'm not too sure why, but it is probably because it is his first spawn and isn't sure what to do.), so I have put the eggs in a floating container with an air stone to see if they will hatch (thats if they are even fertile, fingers crossed though).

Here is a pic....

ResizeButterflyEggs-1copy.jpg

I counted 42 eggs in this bunch, and there are a few other lose ones around the tank, so that seems like a pretty good sized spawn.

Cheers, CatBrat.

Thanks guys!

Both the male and the female are around 13cmSL. I got the male about 3 years ago when he was still very small, and i got the female about 2 months ago off Trademe. I am very happy :D.

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Sorry, I have been meaning to post an update. Well its not good news really. Only one of the eggs hatched (and that fry only survived about a day) and the rest of the eggs fungused. I'm not too worried about it though, because it was there first spawn, and pleco's can sometimes take a few attempts to get things right.

So hopefully things go better next time...

Cheers, CatBrat.

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo!!!! I have just found my male guarding another spawn, and he seem's to be doing the right thing this time!! :D:D:D This time the male is in the spawning cave and guarding/fanning the egg's in there, so hopefully I will have more success with this lot of egg's. I can't really see in the cave properly (I had to use a little tourch, and even then I can only see about 1/3 of the way into the cave), so I'm not sure how many egg's are in this spawn.

I will try to keep you better updated this time. Fingers crossed...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Just an update...

Not much to say really, other than that the male is still in the cave fanning. I can still only see a couple of eggs (the ones closest to the entrance), so I am hopeful that there are more eggs further inside the cave. I think that they should be hatching in the next day or 2.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Just an update...

I came home from school this afternoon to find the first fry out of the cave :D :D . It is quite large (about 8-9mm, i guess), has a realitively small yolk sac and it seems to be fairly well developed (it already has some body pigment which surprised me).

As far as I can tell this is the only egg to have hatched out so far, as the male is still in the cave fanning, and the few egg's that I can see haven't hatched yet. Apparently the male does not care for the young like male BN's do, rather he just kicks the fry out once they hatch.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.

Hi everyone,

I now have 8 fry that are all looking good (this spawn was no where near the size of the lst one, or else a lot of the eggs fungused and the male ate them). Unfortunatly 1 fry died last night and 1 fry died some time today, but the 8 are still looking good.

Could be perhaps from another batch?

Nope, they are all from this spawn. All the fry look the same, and when I caught some up this morning they still had there egg cases attached.

The adults are in there own tank, by themsevles.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, CatBrat.