Plants from the local stream

@ndrew

I am just getting back into my fish. I have noticed the stream at the local park has a plentiful supply of oxygen weed (Lagarosiphon major).

I would like to know if it would be safe for me to un-root/cut some and plant it in my goldfish tank?

If not how can I make it safe?

Or shouldn’t I do it all together?

I hope everybody has a very merry Christmas! – Thanks for all your help so far!

I'd take some. If you're really worried then you could make up a mild bleach soltuion and dip it in that for a few seconds, then rinsing it thoroughly. a 20% bleach solution should probably kill off anything living on it. Take plenty of weed though, some might well be killed by the bleach even after a quick dip.

I take oxygen weed from the local stream that runs through one of our parks.

Has the water got a good flow? Is there a lot of algae? Has the council sprayed the banks recently?

If the water is a bit stagnant, or their was a lot of algae, I would not take the weed.

• 3 weeks later...

Look in the stream to see if there is lots of aquatic life. If there is there will be no problem. I have fed my fish live foods caught from local streams for over 8 years. I've never had a disease introduced yet.

I've also collected many logs or rocks from rivers and beaches and put them in tanks after only a rinse to clean off the worst of the dirt / cobwebs etc.

If the stream or river looks healthy and has plenty of life in it then it is generally ok in NZ. In other countries it may not be.