2 tanks - 1 "old" / 1 about to be new

mxchaos

Hello

I've been lurking for a while but now to join (& with questions).

We have a 4' community tank with a selection of gouramis, clown loaches, khuli's, redtail blacks, glass neons & a sucking cat. The problem however is the redtail blacks (3 of them) that were in the tank when we bought it from someone else have grown up (5", 4", 2.5") - and have got territorial.

I have a 1.5 foot tank simmilar to the one below to set up at work, would the a redtail black be suitable to cycle the tank a few weeks after i fill it? (This is intended to be the ultimate home for the 4" redtail) Or should I get some neons or simmilar and then add the shark after they have stabilised the tank. Suggestions for final tank mates - redtail & something colourful or just the redtail?

_________

|-----------|

|-----------|

\----------/

.\------- /

...\ ___/

Thanks

Wayne

Redtail black sharks - yes, that is the reason for the second tank. We've been trying to give them away for a little while now but everyone we know already has one, thus presenting the same problem.

New tank will be located 50kms from the main tank so nothing will be in common, it will essentially be a new setup. I was thus assuming setup & leave for about 2 weeks - then add then shark, wait a week or two & then add something for colour

The problem is the water won't cycle properly (or as fast) without an initial bacterial introduction from an existing tank. Really recommend using cycle for a fresh tank set up. Skips a lot of problems and you really do get a quality product. If there's no "cycle" available, there's plenty of other products with the bacteria you need.

Leaving dechlorinated water for 2 weeks will start some bacteria, but it's really best if you add even a goldfish (rather than cycle-like product). Nuff said? I feel like I'm being repetitive here.

I really don't think Cycle makes that much difference and can't see how it could cycle a tank on its own.

Not sure I would use a red tail to cycle a tank as I think it would be prone to whitespot. JMHO 8)

Just drop a cooked prwn into the tank and watch the tests results until they have stabilized at the correct readings then start loading the tank with fish after a water change.

But only load the tank slowly tho.

Alan 104

Even a pinch of fish food evey few days will get the cycle going. You dont need to add bacteria, it is in the air and on every surface already, there is nothing magical about the bacteria in fish tanks. Adding cycle or similar product might save you a day or two, but by far the best way to cycle a tank quickly is to run a filter in an old tank for a week or so and then put it into the new tank.

Also what you were planning to do would be find, BUT I suggest you use the smallest red tail so the bioload doesn't go up too quickly, plus if you use the red tail be prepared that you might loose it. You can also help minise the bioload hit by not feeding the red tail for a few days.