New FIlter in the Works

dee_jay_01

Hey all, I would like to show you some picture of a filter I am making.

It will be similar to a canister filter but made from a Pool Filter. Picture 1 is the diagram I have drawn to depict how it will look, the rest of the pictures are of the filter. I will be using a 1500L/H Pump in the bottom of the filter, and the filter will be used to cycle my 4ft 250L tank.

I will keep you guys informed on how the transformation is going...

Diagram

Diagram.gif

Filter

Filter.jpg

Inside the filter

InsideFilter.jpg

Inside the Lid of the Filter, Showing the Inlet Hole

InsideLid.jpg

The PVC Core which I will be removing

Core2.jpg

The original Inlet and Outlet Holes which I will be Closing off.

InletOutlet.jpg

I'd suggest using one of the attachements that are already there for the outlet or inlet. Why waste them? I'm guessing form the looks of it you're planning to have a pipe running from the bottom of the filter up through the media out the top? That looks like it'll be a huge pain in the butt. I'd also use a bigger pump than a 1500LPH, I wouldn't be surprised if you only got 500lph out of the filter.

I thought of that but the pump that i have already, (Submersible Pump, 24V AC, 1.5A, 1500L/H, 17kPa @ Zero Head, 1.7m @ Zero Head). is made for ponds and stuff so it is easier to send it back up through the top. The outlets down the bottom, 1 has a 45mm outlet and the other has a 20mm outlet. I could use the smaller one but it means the pump will have to be layed down on its side, I dont know if that would be good for it or not.

The Pipe that will run back to the top will be 19mm Poly Pipe with a tap to Increase/Decrease the Pressure of the Outlet. I have estimated that I should get around the 1200L/H Output at 17kPa

This is the Pump I will be using:

Jul04454.jpg

Cool, That is good news, my partner says it should come out the smaller side as well but as I said I wasn't sure how the pump would handle it, but if it will handle it, it will make it look a lot neater instead of having pipes and hoses coming from the top.

I will be Spray Painting the outside of the Filter Probably a Blue or Black to Hide it a little, I have a Ledge of the side of my stand it will fit on nicely.

What do you think of the media that will be inside of the filter? is a good combination, It is what AquaClear Recommend for different layers.

Pretty much anything with a surface will work, esp with a filter that size on a tank that small. Pumice or scorea (sp?) are good but you need to check for impurities, plain old gravel would work. Overseas a lot of people use bits of plastic, basically what ever they can find cheap, pegs, cut up straws etc.

Regards the filter wool, there are two schools of thought (well I guess 3 if you add not using it at all, like I do). They really depend on how your filter is setup or more to the point how easy it is to access. If you put the wool first it will catch all the big crap saving your filter media from getting clogged up, the down side is you have to replace the wool often. If you put it last it will stop any big chunks going back into your tank, but the filter media will clog faster. IMHO the best setup is a seperate prefilter designed for ease of removeal/service.

Never thought of Pumice, I was thinking of 3-5mm Washed River Gravel, as I have used that before in larger versions (205L Drum) of the one I am making, I used it to filter 4000L Concrete Tanks which I was breeding Red Claw in. I had a double 205L drum Which I filtered the 10000L Tanks through.

Yes, you shouldn't have any problem picking up a bag of pumice from a nursery in their pebble section. Garden centre's in hardware stores etc will also stock it (in NZ the main supplier is Horticom). It will come in different sizes, personally I would go for the 5mm to 1cm size range to give a good surface area without restricting flow to much.

Wash it before using though.

Have been using a combination of Pumice, cut up straws and ceramic noodles in my wet / dry filter for a few years now. Works well, I have only ever cleaned it once and it didn't even need it then.