Sand substrate.

Bluetom

Is it a good idea to use sand from a pool filter as substrate in a tank??

We had our sand changed a while ago (couple of months), I just contemplated the idea of using it as a substrate in a tank.

Does anyone have any ideas?? :bow:

I think I would be worried about any pool chemicals that might still be in it, are you sure you would be able to clean it well enough to get rid of them all. Sand is pretty cheap wouldn't it give you better peace of mind to buy (or collect) some new stuff?

LOL, now I see where all our sand is going.... into suphews tanks! As for the pool sand, it'll have chlorine, chloramine and tons of other chems in there. I mean.... take a look at the bottles of chems that you dump in yer pool to keep it pretty. The ingredients aren't exactly fish-friendly. If it's fresh sand then yeah; why not, give it a wash. Used sand from a pool filter? Wash the heck out of it, treat it with carbon/charcoal and chlorine remover and you MIGHT be okay. Suggest against it tho, suphew's right, you should just go get some new sand.

the sand hasn't been in the filter for almost 3 months, and it's been out in the sun for all that time, our pool is a shocker and we very rarely take good care of it...

note to self: use chemicals if you don't want a green pool!!

I think i might give it a go, it's going to go into a empty tank so maybe i will give it a mightly clean, bake it in the sun then put it into the.

Try it with a few neons etc and lots of water changes and see how it goes.

What about sand from the beach? Would that be ok?? If and When I get my next tank (hoping 3ft) I was wanting to put sand on the bottom as it looks smoother and nicer. Since Guppies like a bit of salt in their water would this sort of salt bother them? I also want to add my bristlenose catfish. Would he be ok on sand?? (hes getting his bristles so I finaly know its a he! :D)

Beach sand is ok, just make sure you clean it well, and if possible boil it to be sure.

However you all need to beware that sand can clog (i.e. turn into lumps) and compact which creates anerobic (sp?) areas in your tank. I don't know if or why this is bad but have read in a number of places that it should be avoided. Maybe some one else can explain?

the cheapest place to buy sand from is any local Garden Nursery or any Landscapers, you can also pick up some nice rocks and other good fish tank stuff from them for Dirt Cheap.

I wouldnt be using Pool Sand because of the chemicals, nor would i use Beach sand because of the High Salt content, which would most likely kill your Tropicals. May get away with it if you soak it for a LONG time and Boil it a few time through though..

you don't have to soak or boil, as I just rinse thoroughly and there generally isn't enough salt in the gravel to cause any harm to your fish at all, have it in 3 tanks now and never had a problem over a period of 3 - 4 years.

B

Thats good to hear Ballistic that was a question I was ready to ask about beach gravel.

I've collected some off a local beach,soaked and rinsed it numerous times.I was fairly confident it would be fine.

Mind will be at rest now.

Greg

im gonna try black sand from murewai. its high iron content should leach out and lower my pH. i read an article where they put metal salts in degraded lakes and it lowered the pH which wasnt good for the lake but it'll be good for my tank. i think i'll use a little at first and monitor the pH and gradually add more. mix it up with gravel. the discus are amazing, thanks martin.

I've personally done it to fresh before with just eliminating the salt content seing is consists of quite a lot. Get rid of that and there is no reason why you cant use it like I did. :)

I'd use tank water from water change if you can in cycles unless you want to use aqua plus on it like I did. It worked and 6 months later the fish are still alive. I believe a small salinity content is good for the fish.

Well my tank already has some tonic salt in it. Not the full dose tho but a little bit and when I remember to do it with my water changes lol. Would the salt lower the ph by any chance?

The sand that I am able to get down here is a nice colour which is why I am considering it but I still need to find out if sand is an OK substrate to have with a bristlenose.

I have collected gravel off a beach for my tank,it has a bit of shell in it.I have rinsed it well and now it is just soaking in a couple of buckets of water.I have a test kit coming soon,would it be a true reading to test the water in the bucket for ph?

I tested the water in the bucket and it read well over 8,as I took it to my parents to test it I didn't think to take some tap water with me.

Do you think the reading could be high because the amount of gravel is enough to do the fishtank and it may only have 5-10 litres of water in the bucket? (Might be a bit concerntrated)

It's a big ask that question, I think I'll wait till I get my test kit(hopefully tomorrow)then I'll test the tap water.Will get better Idea then.

What is the best way to get the ph down?

Can you let me know how to correct ANY of the water imperfections?

Many thanks

Greg

Ive had peat in one of my tanks, and it looked great! but made one hell of a mess of the tank. I wasn't worried about it lowering my PH as my PH tends to be a bit high anyway, but the water became quite yellow and it was next to impossible to get all of the peat out when i decided to remove it. I am interested to hear this about sand as sand would look really nice. Also interested to hear about bristlenoses...I have yet to sight a bristlenose eyeball to eyeball and would love some for my tanks....still....hubby is out of work now so it will all have to wait.

well I am trying to keep my new tank (when I get it) as natrual coloured as possible. The sand I got is actualy a grey colour (mixed with black and white sand) and the drift wood that I manged to get off the beach is several different colours and designs so I am hoping that it will look good once set up. So I am now on the look out for a 3ft tank :D and make my husband feel happy by building me a stand for it :D

i dont think it matters if shell is in the sand, but you will need to keep your ph down for a while as an acid plus a base gives you co2 and water.

CaCO3 + HCl = CaCl + CO2 + H2O

eventually the calcium carbonate will run out.

then again, it may pay to watch out. unless you soak it acid before you add it to the tank. Vinegar is a good acid. soak for a few days and rinse out with water.

just my input :-?