Now Safe & will know exact power costs

SteveA

I think it the public interest, this thread should be stopped. I don't think any of us really want to know the answer or more accuratly most of us don't want anyone else that may live in our homes to know the answer.

Pie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..or more accuratly most of us don't want anyone else that may live in our homes to know the answer.

Pie

Do you get your power bill sent to you at work? I've already told SWMBO that the tank might double the power bill so, if it only increases it by 60%, she will be pleasently surprised. Thats the plan anyway.

Actually a more interesting thing that has emerged is just how long the tank can go without power. In the 8.5 hours the power was off (major cable problem down the road) the temperature dropped less than 2 degrees (down to 23.7). I did a hand stir at one point but this certainly highlights one of the benefits of a big tank.

On the other hand, the fact that it took 4 van loads of guys 8.5 hours to fix just one cable fault, makes you wonder just how many weeks your power would be off in the event of even a modestly severe earthquake.

Steve

westhaven charge me $480 per month just for the yacht berth... then u have to add racing expenses, breakages, crew costs, entry fees, heartbreak = priceless

its $50 for a round of gold in AKL - this is not a massively expensive hobby,

thank god for mastercard 8)

hmmmmm need a deckhand???

my little tank pushes our electricity bill up by more than double we dont use much so the power bill is still bearable, i agree with pies certain people should not be told how much a bigger tank will cost

what lighting do you have on the tank now steve?? still the 1000W??

What's a 'round of gold'. Obviously something we can't afford down her in Wgtn.

You are right tho, there are a lot more expensive hobbies, my Hifi sucks up far more of my income than my tank, although it does have lower electricity costs, and a trip down south to go skiing will cost several times the fish tank power bill.

Yep, you are definitely right - I think I will buy some more fish then..

Steve

I hate to see what my power cost is but i think it is about $100 month.

4x400w metal halides 16000w

12x 54w t5s 648w

8x54w sump 432 w

heaters 2 x 1000w 2000w

streams say 5x50w 250w

misc pumps, 500w

main pump 100w

total 5530w

I'm at:

5x 400watt MH (11hr day)

2x 250 watt MH (10hrs day)

4x 85 watt T5 (13hrs day)

1x Iwaki 100 1/2 horse power (24/7)

3x Ehiem 1262 ? (15hrs approx a day)

1x Ehiem 1060 (24hrs a day)

4x 300watt Heaters (unknown, less than 2hrs a day I guess)

3x 6100 Tunze Stream (24hrs day)

Don't tell me :oops:

westhaven charge me $480 per month just for the yacht berth... then u have to add racing expenses, breakages, crew costs, entry fees, heartbreak = priceless

thank god for mastercard 8)

It's not? I have 6 metal halide bulbs within about 10 feet of me, replacement for those alone would be $800!

*Kicks marine tank* QUIT MAKING ME SPEND MONEY ON YOU!!!

My tank sucks $120 + a month.

4 400Watt MH

2 Streams

Return pump and heating / fan

I'm guessing I am going to find mine is about the same. There are actually two 250W MH and a couple of pumps less in this system than when the animals were all in the previous setup.

Steve

I really like the screw in 400W single end MH bulbs and ballasts etc

I feel that they are simpler and more reliable connection thent he double enders.......

and you can get all the bits and bulbs REAL CHEAP right here in NZ at radium lighting, its simple cheap and no issues......

you can get 10k 14k and 20k bulbs from these guys

The problem with the 400w is that is does not produce much more light than a 250w DE and they suck more power making a 250w more effecient and as bright.

Only only thing is that they are slightly cheaper to buy and they keep a better spead of light as they are a bigger bulb.

When i redo my lights i will go 250w and just get more of them to give a better spread over the tank.

Radium can do 400W Radium 20k bulbs for $125 + gst i think

and 1000W Radium 20k bulbs for $250 + gst

no 1000W 14kers that he knows of....

please note that the research is showing corals actually grow faster at 6.5k and that the corelation between growth and intensity is established, but there is no significant link between spectrum and growth rates, its just we like the look of some corals under blueish lights.......

some of the borwn corals look awesome under UV lights filmed with special cameras!

anyway thats why i like the 400W ters i think the bulbs are very good price, and i have a ready source of used 6.5k bulbs for almost nothing that still have a lot of kick in em!

Also not i have now picked up sawbench and some other toys i will be posting the stuff on my own reflecters soon.

Sanjay has done some good work on reflecter testing... a good reflecter makes a HUGE difference in the spread of the light into your tank.

I want to try and get a better spread of light then the current reflecters or my arcadia units gave!

arcadias going into q room.....

The problem with the 400w is that is does not produce much more light than a 250w DE and they suck more power making a 250w more effecient and as bright.

The tests done by Sanjeev (sp?) on Advanced Aquaurest show that there is approx 25% more light (PAR) for the SE 400s over 250DEs. I went though this when deciding lighting on my own tank, and my posts are still about on the AA website talking about lighting choice.

I think the 250DE being better is more wishfull thinking than anything else.

Reflectors make a HUGE difference too, with the small box reflectors on DE bulbs often producing more light at the hot spot but having far less coverage.

Pie