darn clicking noise

Brianemone

the clicking noise from my tank is becoming louder and more frequent.

its more in the evening and at night but also during the day and its quite loud. Anyone have suggestions as to what i can do to find the culprit??? if im lucky it might be apistol shrimp if im just being an idiot then its probably more like a snail hitting against the glass

Just the odd click or maybe two, it's a pistol shrimp.

Commonly several in quick succesion, it's a mantis.

But pistol shrimps are a lot more common in these parts than mantis, in fact they are very common, but mantis not very common.

Have you tried turning off all your pumps light etc, one by one, incase they are making the noise?

nope, but as i said its not all the time, i cant remember a day recently when there hasnt been a click or two. the clicking noise was first heard in my brothers tank and then continued when i moved his live rock into my tank. i thought it was to much of a coincidence to be equiptment hence the snail or pistol idea

Can get a 12mm glass tank made for Mantis .. if they ever pop up...

only be about 3x2x2 so extra strength with the small length ....think this be strong enough to withstand hammer mantis ? .. shouldn't be a prob with piecer mantis thou , but who knows.......... :(

soooooooooooooooo if anyone is lucky/unlucky to have one , let me know pleeeeeeeeease :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

try the prawn in the coke bottle trick! Cut the neck off an empty coke bottle & then turn the neck around and insert it into the body of the bottle so that it is a funnel shape.

Then place a small piece of prawn in the bottle & place it on the bottom of the tank at night...

Then wait..

And wait...

:o

And wait...

:o

I have managed to catch a few mantis shrimps & a pistol shrimp (plus a few crabs) this way, but it takes patience... the shrimp will hapiily go in, but can't get out...

If you can't catch it first time, through the prawn away and replace it with new meat, otherwise you may have a small spike in the tank.

Regards,

Blennie...