Siphoning??

Jadie

One of the easiest ways to do water changes is to use an old powerhead filter and a long length of hose that fits over the outlet of the powerhead simpy drop p/h into tank put end of hose outside or in the bath and switch on, just leave plastic for filter insert on p/h so you don't lose any fish and to refill tank put p/h into kitchen sink /bath tub get water flowing at suitable temp put in plug turn on p/h and relax until tank fills. :wink:

Does the flow weaken with distance? I would have thought that it would only dribble out even with a powerhead. I have about 12 feet to get to the deck and wondered how to do it without buckets. I may give it a go if it isnt going to take too long.

I've got lots of holes I hole-sawed into my landlords floor. I kept all the plugs so I can epoxy them back in when I leave. The carpet is nylon, so it just cut with a knife and folded back. Once the plug is replaced and the carpet is glued back down, you'd never know there was a hole.

All my inside tanks had holes through the floor, - it made water changes easy. The waste went down one pipe and an outside storage drum + pump came back to fill the tank on another. Good system as long as you didn't get sidetracked. Set the filler running once and started typing away here in the fishroom. A long time later and oops, very wet lounge floor.

I now have an overflow alarm so as long as I'm here while the tanks are filling, I'll know if I've forgotten to turn off the pump.

My siphon has about a 15 foot hose on it. I'd say it probably loses about 1/3rd of its suction over that 15 feet. But, it's worth it since I can drain out the door.:) I don't think cutting holes in the floor would be a good idea here...Concrete floor with underfloor heating coils.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a great little contraption for siphoning.

It's called a Multi-Vac and it's battery operated!!! (2 C size lasts 'forever')

It has a gravel connection for turning the gravel over-the BN's LOVE that!!

It also has a connection to vac the glass inside -except my BN do that!!!

AND..............

It also has a connection to add a hose. Great for siphoning at the press of a button!!!

I use 6 meters of hose and this does a 25% WC in 10 mins (120L Tank)

No problem with pressure.

I paid $32.00(Aust) for it 12 months ago at a Pet Shop, not a LFS.

Annie