June 12, 200521 yr comment_52767 For those interested, here is a update on the controller I am working on. http://www.nzreefs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=37#37 It has changed a lot since the beginning of the year. But i've finally settled on what components I will use. Layton Report
June 14, 200521 yr Author comment_53111 Boards have arrived, got a photo up: http://www.nzreefs.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15 Layton Report
June 14, 200521 yr Author comment_53127 What i'll probably end up doing is putting together a couple of complete systems, and send them round NZ, and people can try/test it. Layton Report
June 14, 200521 yr comment_53128 Let's see...2500 pins to solder, let's say 2 pins per minute on average that's 1250 minutes. Call that 21 hours including breaks...$30/hr for labor, you going to charge $630+ for them? hehe. Report
June 14, 200521 yr Author comment_53130 Let's see...2500 pins to solder, let's say 2 pins per minute on average that's 1250 minutes. Call that 21 hours including breaks...$30/hr for labor, you going to charge $630+ for them? hehe. Sorry Ira, i wouldn't get out of bed for less than double that hourly rate. Prototypes are expensive. The boards themselves cost $800 (for min 4) so that pic is a $200 piece of laminated fibreglass and copper, then there are the components on top of that. A single protoype with all the other components will probably cost me a couple thousand, in raw materials. But once the proto is finished and working. I can send them to some chinese sweat shop and have them manufactured for next to nothing. :lol: Layton Report
June 14, 200521 yr comment_53155 You wouln't get out of bed for less than $60hr? Damn I am in the wrong business. I would kill people for $60hr. $30 is an insult? Damn any of you guys got any work going? Pie Report
June 14, 200521 yr Author comment_53156 Consultancy Pies. If I wasn't at Uni, i'd be charging $90/hr +, and still be one of the least expensive in town. Layton Report
June 15, 200521 yr comment_53188 I dunno if i'd kill people for $60 an hour, but I'd definitely hit them with a makeshift blunt object for $60 an hour. Report
June 16, 200521 yr comment_53303 It looks like you're pretty much building a computer. Why didn't you just buy a small form factor PC and build a simple I/O module? Report
June 16, 200521 yr Author comment_53304 Several reasons. 1 Size. This will be much smaller than even the smallest form factor PC 2. Cost - By the time you design the IO required and interface it to a PC, you might as well put you're own cpu in their. 3. Power - this will consume about 3 watts. PC you are talking orders of magnitude more power. 4. It will hopefully form the basis of an entirely separate commercial product. 5. I had to think of an idea for my final project for university. Layton Report
June 28, 200521 yr Author comment_54873 Another update http://www.nzreefs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=56#56 Layton Report
June 28, 200521 yr comment_54877 Looks good, cant wait for the full version, Could be a good seller in the states if the price is competitive. Report
June 28, 200521 yr comment_54887 Why not use a handheld device like a PDA or similar? Certainly would look swanky and they have nice screens these days and are cheap as chips. Pie Report
June 28, 200521 yr Author comment_54888 Cost, and specialised hardware. If you use something like a palm, you still have to design additional interface hardware like analogue inputs etc. It's expensive. I haven't received the LCD yet it's still on backorder. There are many options for this including color PDA type displays. The one I have on order is a small 128 x 64 graphic module with a white backlight. The board will obviously be packaged in a professional looking case etc, and like i said before, it is also going to form the basis of another commercial product i'm looking at developing. It's still very much a prototype. Layton Report
July 6, 200521 yr Author comment_55674 A little bit of progress. SDRAM is working now, and it's successfully running linux 2.4.27 kernel. Ethernet is not working yet. Need to write a driver for it. I've been able to get version 2.6.12 of the kernel built and running yet. But that is the version i'm hoping to use. So things are moving a little slower than i was hoping, but still chugging along. Layton Report
July 12, 200521 yr Author comment_56440 Major progress. Got version 2.6.12-rc1 of the linux kernel built, ethernet drivers written, and the board is now live on the internet! Got to http://lduncan.dyndns.org and the page which loads is being served by the board. Layton Report
July 12, 200521 yr Author comment_56442 when it's finished Around Christmas I should hopefully have a couple of fully assembled units. Next week... a live video feed from ChCh, all going to plan. Layton Report
July 19, 200521 yr Author comment_57419 As promised. A live video feed from ChCh, served by the controller. It's probably a bit dark, and it's just a cheap webcam so the image isn't that flash. It is better with more light. The "streaming" is not how it will be done. At the moment it's just a meta refresh ("client pull") which only allows a max frame rate of 1fps. I should be able to get 10 to 15 fps without to much trouble, using a "server push" approach. I just need to get php compiled for this to work. Resolution is set at 352 x 288, cause my upstream BW is limited. Here's the link again http://lduncan.dyndns.org Layton Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.