HELP !HELP! DISCUS DISTRESS

SAFFABOY

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, just getting ready for any impending disasters with my discus tank. I've had two lyretails pass within the last week for unknown causes and we're watching the tank VERY CLOSELY to make sure there's nothing wrong tha might affect the discus. Now, the lyretails were at the completely wrong temp at the wrong pH. We know this. Frankly, the only reason they were there was to home them while we got a tank sorted for them by themselves and they're SO HARD TO GET OUT. Ah well, just one left now and for the life of me I still can't net the bugger.

So, here's my discus-related questions. Drontal pills - same medication for cats and dogs, so I can just adjust the dosage and use a 4kg or 6kg cat pill (or one of each) and combine with 20L of tank water for treating, right?

Fluke tabs - anyone know where to get them? When treating with a tank of B/Ns I should put the discus in a hospital tank for treatment, right? Are the fluke tabs something that the discus need to be exposed to for a certain amount of time?

Thanks for everything, yer time and help is appreciated.

Oh that post had me going thought u were having more problems Rory. Blue and Kim ask Phill Collins he's been a great help to me. What I would say is don't treat unless they are showing some signs. Its hard I know as I'm allways looking this way that way at my Discus. All animals have parasites in them and they are normally keeped in check naturally. Oh Phill has new Discus available in two weeks so good time to make contact with him if you haven't already and check out what he has to offer. I've placed my order a week ago, don't want to miss out. I asked the LFS what they did to worm there Discus and was told they use Drontal every 6 months I think, there Discus looked like runts to me so I'm happy not worming them and the money/time saved goes into more water changers which is your BEST cure.

Well, I'm definitely going to worm them as soon as this bloody Angel Fish is out of the tank. Someone from these forums has been supposed to come by and pick it up since Monday and still no show. Frankly, if I don't hear from them by tonight I'll be putting the angel on TradeMe as I want it out of the tank asap. I got lucky earlier and finally got that last lyretail out of the tank. Fun fun fun trying to keep discus happy...

:hail: from new zealand discus man.

hi all 8) hiding tonight but just had to help..

to flukes.. :evil: all fish have them.. :evil: :evil: :evil: problem is all are egg layers and facts are dont think anyone has a glue as to when they will hatch..

to tell if gill flukes..rapid gill movements,, skin flukes,,rubbing on filters etc..

but to rubbing could also be protozon and flukes.,, usually they are living on the same fish...common white spot is the only one that can be seen without microscope..

to treatments..Dronsit tabs..34 mg dog tabs....1/2 tab for 10 gals usa gallons.30% water change after 48 hrs..

i have not used tab form but via vet have ligiud form..will also kill tab worms..

Warning >>>> do not over dose discus ..the will loose the there balance and can even lay on tank floor for weeks..some might even die..

to protozon.. the old negavon or flubenol ..flubenzole ..but with out vet help you may not get it..but many protozon do not like higher temp..

try 32 c and plain sea salt at one teaspoon to 4.5 liters..

plants may not like salt..

also flygal alls good for many protozon and readly from vet,,

:bow: cheers Phill Collis