Filter has been off

jude

Hiya

I run two fluval external cannister filters on my tank.

Filter one was due to be cleaned in the next few days.

Filter two was off for 8-9 hours last night after lightning caused a brief blackout - it is plugged into an RCD plug and I had to reset it this morning when I realised what had happened. Filter one stayed operating as it is plugged in to a different plug

Will this have killed the good bacteria? I am wondering if I should put off cleaning the other one for a while. And if I should wait, how long for?

Cheers

Jude

I think you'll be fine - even with the cannister off there's water in the filter, so it won't have dried out etc.

Maybe hang off a day or two before cleaning the other one? easy way to tell is keep an eye on the ammonia levels in the next few hours, see if they change slightly (if any bacteria had died there would be a tiny rise in the ammonia as balance is restored anyway).

Just my $0.02 :)

I think there's probably be a lot of die off. But who cares, it won't be enough to notice, all I do in cases like that is drain the water out of the filter, into a bucket or whatever and plug it back in. So any toxins in the water are cleared out. Started doing that after I lost a tank of fish with the power out for just 3 hours. Now if the power's out for an hour I unplug them all and when the power goes out I drain a bucket full of water out through them before plugging back in.

I think you may be ok Jude, since you have 2 fluvals and a heavily planted tank.

like others have said keep an Eye on it and hold back cleaning the other filter for a while.

I have only needed to clean my 303 last week after having it run continuously for 6 months. I wouldn't have bothered if it weren't for the fact that no water was coming out. When I did open it up found that the sponges was clogged by Guppy doo.

Quick rinse and the filter was back in action again.

If your filter switches off for any reason you shouldn't just switch it back on (too late now I know :lol: ) I accidentally had mine turn off for a couple of days and just switched it back on walked back to my tank and all I could smell was rotten egg. I didn't ask anyone so could be wrong, but came to the conclusion that by turning it off there was no more oxygen for the arobic bacteria to breath, anarobic bacteria then grows and feeds of nitrates and assuming that it is the same theory of a nitrate filter if the water flow is to slow sulpher is created (I have no idea of the chemical explination of this part).

I didn't loose any fish though just changed a whole lot of water

You should be looking into a failsafe RCD. They are supposed to turn back on automatically after a power outage but, of course, not after having been tripped by a short ot earth (like from you getting zapped).

Steve

• 2 months later...

Reading all the threads here.

I tried to get a battery operated filter but the pet store was sold out.

I'm a little lost here... :roll: :-?

If there is a power outage, thought might have one last night MAJOR thunderstorm, what should I do with the filters?

I'm I understanding correctly...just pour out the water that is in the filter...put "fresh" water in filter and turn on???? I have to have water in the filter before I turn it on.