Fresh water crayfish.

deeveus

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any fresh water crayfish in their tanks. I am looking at doing so but wonder if they will take the tropical heats of 26degC. I'm sure you can have them in cold water with goldfish, but not sure with tropical. Does anyone have any in a tropical tank?

:)

Koura would be better in a coldwater tank. But depending on your other tank occupants and plants a compromise could be made at around 22 deg. The crayfish would be ok at this temp and a lot of tropicals can also live happily. Of course like all compromises its not ideal for either party, but do able.

Interestingly the warmer the water the faster growing but shorter lived the cray will be. Take a look at http://www.niwa.co.nz/pubs/au/29/koura.htm for more info on their requirements.

Got a couple running arond my tank at the moment (coldwater). Interesting little characters that can be entertaining to watch. But if you have any plants in the tank - beware those nippers are great pruning shears :evil:

By the way, to catch a Cray:

Don't even bother trying during the day. You might luck it but if you head out to a bush stream or drain at night then there will be heaps running around having little arguements with each other etc. Just use a aquarium net but put it behind the cray and guide it in with your other hand from its front. Their eyes glow orange in the torch light so they are easy to spot.

My night time identification guide:

Large orange eyes = crays, small orange eyes = shrimp, Splash = Banded Kokopu, the slimy feeling = 1m long eel crawling around your legs. :o

no I do know of lakes which get up to 22 and they are in there quite happily, too much heat and especially too much light are a big issue, there has been a theory bandied by biologists that these little guys can suffer from light shock resulting in death.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all, I used to breed fresh water Red Claw, in Northern Australia where the water is almost always 24-30deg in summer they loved it, they were more active, ate more, and breed more. just be careful; they dont take a fancy to your fish as they are notorius for plucking them out of the water if there hungry.

I would recommed if you do get them the like shallow water with heaps of airation and PVC tubes about 10" long to hide in (the length is so more then one will go in, and they will always go in tail first so becareful when tipping them out) just close of one end with some flyscreen mesh so when you want to get them out they go in and you can pick them up out of the water.

Also their excellent climbers as well, they can climb up the silicon in fish tanks so make sure you have ample covering over your tank.

If you have guppies becareful thats there favorite food. So buy some feeders guppies from your LFS for them and they might leave the other alone. They also love Pig or Chicken Pellets from any Produce and Stock Feed Shop.

If you want any more help just ask.

Lowering the temps in the tank over a week should be fine. But check out your other fish requirements 1st, i.e. I wouldn't do it with Discus etc.

Haven't found light to be too much of an issue. The ones I've got now don't mind coming out into the brigthest area of the tank at all. They hid until they realised that nothing was in their "new pool" that can eat them and now they will hang around the front of the tank while the lights are on.

dee_jay_01, you are right about them being good climbers. The smallest one now and again hunts around to a way up & out of the tank. Found him in my prefilter in the sump yesterday when cleaning it- gave me a hell of a fright! They do like protein based foods. Threw in 5 sandhoppers as live food the other day and the 2 crays accounted for 4 of them. Fish didn't have a chance to look at the hoppers.

• 4 weeks later...

Shilo , luv your descriptions ... myself I kept about a dozen freshwater crays in a six footer with gobies/cockabullies and some inunga(spelling)?..

found that you have to have massive amounts of hiding places as with night fall they move around alot and can and do attack other crays and take over their places .... do definatly prefer cool water ( trop out ) ... and keeping other cold water species with them that is not native is not on dudes!! .... :o:o