water trouble in the big tank

Travis & Vicki

Here is something i would recommend to anyone who has a big tank with big messy fish, and cloudy water.

Laguna pond clear, yes i know it is for ponds and i know its a tad expensive but blimmen heck it works a treat.

The trick is to pack your filter with filter wool, put a couple of cap fulls in after lights out, and when you get up in the morn, crystal clear. The filter wool needs to be removed the next day though.

I say after lights out, cause once you put it in, your water goes like milk.

I have used this many times on my big tanks, and it doesnt bother the fish at all.

I have had the same probs with cichlids, ph probs and cloudy water, it takes ages for the tank to wear in, i suppose you could say. :D

well the worst water round is foxton water.. when we moved there 7 years ago, we had goldfish galore and a small red ear turtle. and a big Oscar.. The water killed the goldfish within a couple of hours and the turt was ok but the Oscar got brain damage poor buga.. had to rush him to a friends place who had bore water.. he was never the same after that..

I have the same problem in my 450l tank . I am putting the blame on my pair of B r/nose ( pooing machines) . Because thay eat alot of bog wood there poo seems to fall apart and create particles in the water . I also find because i am running a tricke filter i am only taking water from the surface and particles seem to get suspended in the water colum . Maybe i need to increase my in flow ?

I have a similar problem with my 450l 4' tank with particles in the water, just looks messy almost all the time. I have a 303,304,Shark 3 and a atman 104 which also acts as the pump for my UV filter. My PH was always low because of drift wood, so I used argonite(spelling) in one of my filters and just kept adding more over 2 weeks until it settled around 7. All water tests are nil. And remembering weekly gravel cleans helps heaps as my Oscars and pleco are messy.

With a tickle filter I have seen another piece of glass going from slightly higher then the trickle filter glass top to 3/4 of the way down to the bottom with a slight gap between glasses to take water from lower down in the water colomn, would also help I believe. This was on a crystal clear 8' tank (was however under stocked for size of tank)

Colin

gee thats alot of filters for a 4 ft. u dont think u r over acerating it?? when we had our Oscar and huge pleccy they were in a 4ft and back then we hadnt heard of external filters. had a undergravel thing with a pump and an internal box type filter u hooked the hose up to..

T&V asked:

what are the down falls with that idea

Power consumption.. It would possibly have a 1/4hp motor.

Noise... They ain't quiet.

Plumbing... Reducing from around 1" (25.4mm) bore to the size you need would be a hassle.. plus create back pressure on the pump.

Once running it would "have" to stay on to be effective.

Noise 2... The outlets going into the tank would create quite a bit of water noise... let alone turbulence.

Location.... Under the house job.. not suited to a lounge.

According to what you have said already, I don't think the filtration is your prob.

Bill

It didn't say to use a spa pool pump! I said a spa pool cartridge filter will help, no mention of a pump. A good standard aquarium pump will be fine. I also suggested a pump of capacity 9000L/h.

Filtration is the problem...

Forget canisters unless you want to run 8-10 of them. Even then they won't get the water as clean as a pleated cartridge filter and a decent sized trickle filter.

One good trickle filter, pleaded cartridge filter and pump will cost a lot less than the equivalent canister filters and will do a much better job. If a pleated cartridge filter is used the trickle filter never needs cleaning. You'll never need filter wool again.

warren, i didnt say you suggested the spa pool pump and filter, i dont really know what a trickle filter even looks like.

we are limited with space for a sump type set up

doing water change today, vaccuming gravel and removing what i hope is the problem, a log that is decaying.

will let you all know how i get on

in the short term a product called AccuClear will help. It clumps together all the small particles so that the filter can deal with them. It is highly toxic so don't overdose!!!!!!!! in the long term though, i would really go for a good filter. Surely one big external wont use more power than lots of little ones????

plecs

I love that big tank, anyways with the Aqua One filters, the out lets need to be towards the top of the tank and the inlet about 4 - 6" from the bottom as the do suck a lot of garbage into the filter, it makes it hard when its such a big tank though. You could try staggering the Filters ins and out at different levels to try to circulate the tank a bit better.

I have only got a 4ft tank so I dont have this sort of problem that much. Heres a link if ya interested.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y273/dee_jay_01/

we have the inlet and outlet staggered in the tank, to try and get good water flow through the tank to avoid dead spots, the problem just wont seem to go with the filtration we have , not enough water per hour being moved.

have a man coming to look at possible solutions on friday, if anyone wants to check out the tank, please come before 8am, its nice and clear then and its not as embaressing :lol:

we are looking at a 1/4hp pump and filter set up, it will filter 130ltrs a minute

It me thinking of using a spa pump and filter. Works out to about $20 a month leaving the pump on 24/7. With the inline heater on a large tank thats not all that significant.

We have been calculating everything recently trying to understand why our power bill is $400 a month.