Snails, snails, snails... grrrrr, snails!

ormali

Mistake being you bought full grown loaches. As I'm sure you know, young fish eat more rapidly while older fish have slower metabolisms (like any living creature). If you get some young loaches you should be good. Otherwise, get some meds, just don't overdose!!!

and don't feel out of place, kiwis are friends to just about every1!

Thank you for that kind reception.

As for getting small clown Loaches, I am sure my 11 inch Oscars would love that. These snails are just a pest. The problem is, they are getting into my filters. I'm not sure if it's a snails causing the problem, but my filters have been acting very strange lately. I gave them a clean the other day and they were working perfectly okay. By the way, I have got two eheim 2329's. They normally take around a minute to fill and empty. What is happening now is that every day, they are taking longer in between filling and emptying. I can understand if they were absolutely clogged up inside, but they are not. I am just wondering if it has got something to do with the snails. Has anybody else had this sort of problem with their filters.

Oh.... yeah, some small clown loaches would be oscar snax. Nuffink left to do but medicate! I advise moving the oscars to another tank while medicating their snail-infested home (no point losing your oscars over the filthy snails). As for the filters, no clue. Have you cleaned your hoses? Could be clogged up with snails, eggs or what have you.

the small trumpet snail gets in to your gravel and airates it ,so I wouldn't call them bad.

have heard COPPER kills snails .

if you don't like adding chem's to your water this is what you can try:-

buy a 9v(small) battery connect the + to the - with a bear copper wire ( that is you remove the plastic insulation ), loop the wire in the tank.

this creates a small electrical current causing the copper wire to release a copper compound which in small doses is harmless to your fish but will kill invertebrits, eg snails. :D

never tried it my self thou. :o

Yeah, you could do that if you enjoy doing things the hard way...:)

Or just buy a bottle of snail rid(or similar snail killer) from the fish store for a couple bucks, squirt in and be done. It's a copper (Sulfate?) solution, does a great job of killing snails.

Just to update you, I went and bought two 5 cm clown loaches. They are currently in my four foot tank cleaning up the snails - and doing a wonderful job at it too.

Would also have to say they are among the most entertaining little fish. They swim by flapping their fins - looks like they are clapping! They have made friends with our red tail black shark and follow her around creating havoc. Glad I didnt get more than two - I don't think the angels and the siamese fighter would have ever forgiven me!

For all that, they don't do any damage - we have a dyonus syandontis (sp?) catfish who does all the plant uprooting. Am currently having an argument with him - I move the plants and the stones around the tank, he moves them back. I replant them where I want them - he digs them up.

We kept the snails in the baby tank, there are a heap of little guppies and swordtails in there and the snails clean up their mess. Once babies are bigger, in go the clown loaches though.

Thanks for all your help.

Reporting back after a week as promised:

well... I definitely have less snails in the tank, and I can't spot any clutches of snail eggs like I used to be able to.

This is with 3x1" clown loaches and 2x1" skunk loaches

So yes, I'm definitely happy, there are still a few snails around, but their numbers aren't increasing which is the main thing.