How do you get one of these?

morgie

Basically impossible, you cant import them anymore as if i recall correctly they are getting to be a rare species in their homeland, Kim who used to be at Pupuke Aquarium was baby sitting one and someone else posted they had a female but i'm not sure if they were going to try to breed them, Zebra Plecos are an awesome looking fish but they were around $400 each i think, i would love to find a pair and breed them but they are scarcer than hens teeth. So for us unlucky people the pic is as close as we get to them :(

thanks for the info.

i was reading on that website that some one would be ripping you off if they gave one to you for $50 and said that $20 was a reasonable price. They must be in a country where you could find one on the sidewalk, so to speak. $400 sounds pretty hefty but all we need is a male and female so if anyone on the site has any of these we should make an arrangement to breed them because i know people would be interested in getting one. Alot of money in that too. should make quite a few fry :roll:

cheers

From what i've heard they are expensive overseas too, as said, they're becoming scarce in the wild so naturally this drives prices higher than petroleum. Yeah I remember reading about Kim's one and someone who had a female....any more info there lucky zebra owners?

They are a pretty fish...but really...$400...are you guys serious? Is your currency different than Canadian...e.g. if I wanted to buy an American dollar...would cost... 1.20 Canadian (of course, depending on the exchange rate).

:oops: You say that they are becoming scarce in the wild...ah... :oops: ...ah...do most fish sold in pet stores actually come from their "native" lands...or should I say water? Feeling REALLY dumb about now...but I thought that most of the fish you see in pet stores were bred...not captured...REALLY dumb :-?

thanks kribkrazy!

Then holy cow...$400 for a fish...what would make it sooooo expensive...I've seen some here that were $100...and was shocked! I mean on this site...other fish priced high...anybody know where I can get a brain :-?

A lot of it comes down to getting the fish here and then our governments idea of protecting the country, some fish have to go into quarintine for up to 6 weeks with regular vet and MAF (ministry of agriculture and fisheries)inspections. Its a huge risk say import 10 Zebra Plecos that may cost $150 each, then if maf decides they have a disease kill them all. A lot of fish still come from the wild.