Sad Week

calvin

It has been suggested that it was a fish introduced disease,

don't you have quarantine facilities for new additons to your tank??

It would be IMVHO a cheap insurance considering the cost of the animals in the tank.

Alan 104

if a sick fish is placed into a well established tank the rest of the fish should not get automaticly sick too. i have done this a few times when fellow fish keepers gave me a sick fish to look after. only if your set up is not properly done, will your other fish get sick too. ( overstocking, poor skimming, stress, tank to small, diet, etc)

sorry to hear about your loss :(

Not good when that happens.

I would like to suggest to everyone that you should running a uv on your quarantine tank to break the cycle of anything that may be introduced.

it is also a good idea to run a uv on your main tank even if you only run it when you introduce the fish for a few weeks. they are the best way to break the life cycle in deseases if you don't use ozone.

Aaron.

I too recently lost several fish due to the addition of diesed fish, probably from the same sorce.

It has highlighted to me the importance of a QT tank, and its a lesson leaned the hard way. I am sure there are people out there who would read this and say 'told you so'. Most books make it clear that the addition of a qt tank is nessesary, but few of us do it. From now I am will be doing it, I intend to learn from my mistakes.

Pies

cookie what if the fish looks fat & healthy & is eating!

even if a fish looks very healty he could still carry deseases. always hard to tell. but this does not mean because you have one sick fish all others will get sick too. all fish carry all sorts of nasties with them around, but get only sick/die if something is wrong in their environment. most often simple quarantine systems do more harm then good, particulary when it comes to finicky eaters. fully matured reef/ live rock system seems to offer a lot more natural food etc. but hey i could be wrong of course! :hail:

Cookie Extreme. I few months ago I would have agreed with you, but given recent experance I know its wrong.

A QT may make fish that are finicky eaters harder to get feeding. However the flip side is if you introduce a fish that has a varilant diease you are in for a bad trip.

I would probably add a proviso to this though. If this fish came from a know good source then perhaps there is little value to the QT. Buy shop brought or direct sourced animals should enter a QT.

People will do as they will, but I promise its a lesson I have recently been taught and I encourage everyone to learn from my own mistake/experance than go through what happened to me.

Pie

I am not allowed to divulge the details in this public forum. I can only talk via PM or e-mail as these methods will not instigate a response as I had with my previous post. Feel free to use these methods.

I dont see any reason why not. If that is the case it is tantamount to censorship - and shame on this site for that !!!