Natural Sea Water

kiwis

So I'm about to order by new marine tank, one of the biggest concerns for me is the cost to keep salt water.  I can use salt crystals and pure dew water from my local supermarkets but will be about $20 per week slightly less. 

I'm in Auckland, Hibiscus Coast to be exact and have access to plenty of beaches around my area so am considering Natural Sea Water as an option. 

Not sure if it's any use but Safe Swim always has the green tick for all local beaches.

My questions are:

1. Is Natural Sea water as clear as water from bucket salt when in your tank? Does anyone have a photo of NSW in their tank?

2. I understand to collect water 30mins prior to high tide and not within a day or two of heavy rain, what else do you need to do to treat the water prior to it going in your tank?

3. Can you mix natural and artificial waters? I assume as evaporation occurs you'll need to add pure dew into the tank as well.

4. I know to use food grade containers - but how long can I keep the water before going in my tank? For example, if it's forecast for 3-4 days of rain over the weekend can I collect water, keep it somewhere dark until the weekend when I do my water change?

5. The opposite to above, can the water be warmed up via a heater and put in my tank the same day or next day if the refractometer shows the water is at the right state?

Feel free to answer one or all of my questions :-) happy for others to add any comments or questions they have as well.

1. Is Natural Sea water as clear as water from bucket salt when in your tank? Does anyone have a photo of NSW in their tank?

YES

2. I understand to collect water 30mins prior to high tide and not within a day or two of heavy rain, what else do you need to do to treat the water prior to it going in your tank?

Can run it through a 1 micron filter if you like or store in dark for 4 days prior to use in tank, will need to dilute slightly and add a bit of calcium and magnesium if doing a full reef tank

3. Can you mix natural and artificial waters? I assume as evaporation occurs you'll need to add pure dew into the tank as well.

Yes

4. I know to use food grade containers - but how long can I keep the water before going in my tank? For example, if it's forecast for 3-4 days of rain over the weekend can I collect water, keep it somewhere dark until the weekend when I do my water change?

Can keep in the dark indefinitely so long as container sealed

5. The opposite to above, can the water be warmed up via a heater and put in my tank the same day or next day if the refractometer shows the water is at the right state?

Yes

On 6/16/2018 at 4:26 PM, Ira said:

They look just like tanks that use ASW.

Thanks, I've heard really mixed reviews ranging from it's just like ASW and it's completely fine to never use it, the water isn't 'clean' or as visible and it's a quick way to destroy your tank.

Trying to find where the middle ground is.

13 hours ago, livingart said:

People have either collected dirty water or are selling artificial salt usually

I've been using NSW for over 30 years

Well I don't know. They've commented elsewhere they it's been nothing but trouble.

What type of fish and or coral do you have?