Heat Loss from Tank

Zimbaliza

Hi Guys,

My power bill, has started to rocket up, since getting the bigger tank, Power company is sending Alerts,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas, how to retain heat?

Tank (1) is 750litre (Acrylic) 

• Eheim Jager 300w Heater (set to 22 Degrees)
  • Random Brand 300w Heater (Set to 22 Degrees)
  • Fluval FX6 Filter
  • Finnex 24/7 lights

Tank (2) is 130litre Aquaone

• Eheim Jager 100w Heater (set to 26 Degrees)
  • Overhead Filter
  • Random Canister/UV filter (1400l/h)

Tank (3) is 90litre Aquaone

• Random 100w Heater
  • Bubble Filters (baby cory tank)

Am wondering, if I should insulate the plastic pipes going two and from the FX6 filter, probably replacing the Random 300w heater with another Eheim 300w, also, I'm wondering if I should attach space foil blankets?? or make a curtains for the tank at night??

Anyone have any ideas where the heat is mostly lost?? i.e Sides? Top?? 

I wouldn't say my house is cold, is 20 years old I guess... Brick & Title/Concrete Base, I don't use AC, probably only turn the oil column heater on 2-3 times a year... no drafts...

Thanks

-Chris

I believe I have at least 1 power meter at home ... I will do some testing in the weekend...

I am wondering if I should get something custom made like the pictures below (someone's tank on trademe) or maybe some thermal curtains?? maybe a better option, my tank acts like a partition wall between the dining room, and lounge so it is visable on both sides (is 170cm tall, with the sides, 88cm deep) so alot of area to loose heat...

Random filter, is 35w 1400l/h(maybe more) UV filer, is a hoplar  (pretty random), have a pre filter attached, as well as the standard, aquaone trickle filter, for the dwarf puffer tank... (was reading you needed alot of filtration for these guys.. personally think it's overkill for the little guys!) 

Power bill is up by 50% on last year... I will need to confirm it is my tanks chewing up the power, 

-Chris

heattank1.jpg

heattank2.jpg

If you cover your tank you will need to have your lights off won't you?  What's your room temp?

I have noticed my heaters on a lot more of late, my tank is sitting at 25.2atm - heater is on.  Try cutting out as many drafts around the room as you can and make sure your lid is tight fitting to keep heat in.

Has the price of power risen a lot in Auckland - I don't pay power so have no idea of the cost of it :) 

If you cover your tank you will need to have your lights off won't you?  What's your room temp?

I have noticed my heaters on a lot more of late, my tank is sitting at 25.2atm - heater is on.  Try cutting out as many drafts around the room as you can and make sure your lid is tight fitting to keep heat in.

Has the price of power risen a lot in Auckland - I don't pay power so have no idea of the cost of it :) 

Why would you need to have your lights off?  Leaving them off while wrapped up in a blanket like that means not only do you get the lighting, you're saving heat generated by the lights.

Remember the power company only reads your meter once every few months, they estimate usage on the other months which can be wildly off. If you don't have a advanced meter (automatically reads for the power company) make sure you are working on the actual meter readings and not estimates. For example 2 months ago my bill for the camp was just over $1000 (an estimate) which got the blood pressure up a bit.  But last months was only $148 which was the actual reading taking the over-payment because of the previous estimate into account.  Use an average from 4 to 6 months to compare to last years instead of monthly - your power may not have increased as much as you expect.  Don't use the charts normally printed on some companies power bills because the data includes the estimates & only every 3rd or so month is correct.

A household bill wouldn't vary as much as my camps which averages $1500 in the summer months and $400 in the winter but they would still vary and the estimates will still be incorrect until a reading takes place.

Why would you need to have your lights off?  Leaving them off while wrapped up in a blanket like that means not only do you get the lighting, you're saving heat generated by the lights.

If the heat causes a fire good luck trying to claim on the insurance.  

From what I can see,

• Main Tank lights/filter  83w, heater 300w (guessing the second heater isn't kicking in), knocking the lights (24/7) to like 9am/9pm mode, it takes 20w off (lights are only on, when I get home)
  • second tank, 233w (with 100w Heater 2 filters, and 2x18w lights)
  • didn't check the baby cory tank
  • White worm farm fridge (in garage) 20-30w

my meter is read hourly, has some fancy electronic meter attached... I get email alerts daily/weekly... depending if there are any spikes

Will get another Eheim 300w in a couple of weeks once animates have there fishy sale.. am worried, with just the one heater.. is basically locking on full time... and struggling with the load... 

-Chris