Hailea 1HP chiller not cooling

kiwiraka

Setup my chiller today, everything seemed to work fine! Everything turned on and I set the temperature and that was that. Chiller kicked in earlier, making all the right noises ( ;) )  but temperature didn't drop at all! In the half hour I left it on it actually raised the temp by .5°C. This is a 1HP chiller for a <1000 litre tank (recommended for up to 2000 litres!!!) 

So, leaked coolant? Something else? Anything I can do?? Or do I have to spend a fortune on a new one?? :smugshrug:

Setup my chiller today, everything seemed to work fine! Everything turned on and I set the temperature and that was that. Chiller kicked in earlier, making all the right noises ( ;) )  but temperature didn't drop at all! In the half hour I left it on it actually raised the temp by .5°C. This is a 1HP chiller for a <1000 litre tank (recommended for up to 2000 litres!!!) 

So, leaked coolant? Something else? Anything I can do?? Or do I have to spend a fortune on a new one?? :smugshrug:

Put a thermometer in the outlet and another on the inlet.  That will tell you if it's actually cooling.

Heating .5c in half an hour would be about 300 watts...Did you plug the chiller in reverse?

Couple of things off the top of my head to check:

Is the fan working?  when on it should be pumping out hot air from the back, if you can't feel any air coming out then it will be the fan that's shot (should be able to get a replacement). Compressor is noisey but the fan is quieter so you may not hear it.  If the air is moving out of the back but its cold then it most likely will be needing to be re-gassed by a refrigeration service.  Don't know if Hailea have a regassing port but the refrigeration guys should be able to weld one in & it would be cheaper then getting a new chiller.

Check your flow rate from the pump is within the recommended rate in the manual.  If the water is pumped through too fast then it won't have time to chill down (i.e main pump too powerful and may need a separate lower volume pump just for the chiller).  I noticed when researching chillers that for example one rated for a 1000ltr tank has a recommended flow of only 3000ltr/hr and not the 5000ltr/hr that a pump at 5x the tank volume will do.

Was the chiller running for the whole half hour?  That may mean the thermostat or probe is shot, again you should be able to get a replacement probe or a refrigeration service guy should be able to rig something up. Try setting it close to ambient temperature and see if it starts up and doesn't stop running for over an hour.

Hope this helps!

0.5C rise could be from the pump working harder pumping through the chiller?

Fan is definitely working, pumping out very warm air! 

I haven't had a look at the recommended flow rate, but I've got a 1,200 lph pump going through it. Probably lower than recommend, but shouldn't that make it switch on and off from cooling the water too fast? 

The chiller was running for the whole half hour, but I had a separate (definitely working) thermometer in the tank by the outflow. 

Thanks for your reply