Cycling

BrokkenBow

Hi all, first time poster here. I've recently acquired some pure ammonia solution (Clorogene in Petone, Wellington for those who is after some!) and have started my cycling process for my 60L tank. I initially dosed the water to be 3ppm Ammonia, over the past 3 weeks, testing has shown a slow decrease in ammonia (test every 3 days) down to 0.25ppm as of today. But the problem is I am not seeing any increases in nitrite nor nitrate. I am using the API master test kit, my tank is planted, although not heavily, water is dosed with Prime and I am using a sponge filter. Any idea out there as to how this could be happening?

I think so, especially in regards to shaking vigorously for the nitrate test. Is it possible for ammonia to evaporate instead of getting converted? I'm down in Dunedin where the temperature is constantly about 14-15c, wondering if that affects things too :smugshrug:

Primes not needed, just avoid water changes and no chlorine will be added (you have no fish so water changes are needed).   Carry on adding ammonia when it drops but get a cheap heater to put into the tank.  Coldwater cycling takes a long long time but if you get the temp up to 28C it will fast track and be done in a couple of weeks.  Just bring up the temperature over a few days and bring it back down the same way once the cycling is finished.