Semi-automated water changes - what size pump?

Luke*

For pumping about 150L from trash can (aged water holder) to tank (head height about 156cm in a few minutes (assuming this won't cause too much flow distress to the fish) what size pump (litre/gallon/hour) would I need?

Cheers

What you need is a pump to do 150L/number of minutes you want it to take x 60 in L/hour.

eg, 5 Minutes: 150/5*60 = 1800L/hour (=30L/min)

eg, 15 minutes 150/15*60 = 600L/hour (=10L/min)

The pump Brianemone has suggested would take 30 minutes.

These values assume no head. If you can get the pump curve for the pumps you look at, you'll be able to see what rate they pump at the head you propose. If not, allow a bit of extra capacity, about 1.3x at 1.56m

Do the calc and check the graphs, the zero head LPH ratings are pretty meaningless for what you want to do as different pumps handle head better than others. I have a number of pumps and powerheads rated over 1000LPH which proberly wouldnt pump any water to the head you need.

A cheaper option might be to get a big cheap pond pump, like one of those resun king 4 or 3's (should only be around $125 if you shop round), since you will only be running it for a few minutes a day and I assume noise isn't a factor.

Thanks for all the great advice guys appreciate it. Will also need a few powerful heaters and bubbler for aeration to age the water but I'm getting there slowly. Wouldn't be able to handle doing that many buckets too often