Fry Dying

terry100

Hi, I have a 20 litre aquarium that I use for my fry - Platys and Mollies, until they are big enough to go in my main aquarium. Lately the fry have been dying (various ages) and I cannot always find them and I do not know why they are dying. Sometimes they look lethargic and are dead the next day, otherwise they are completely normal and when I turn on the lights in the morning one will be lying dead on the gravel.  I have tested the water and the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are fine. A couple of days ago I did a 50% water change and a thorough gravel clean (I don't do the gravel suction clean as often as I should since usually the fry get sucked up) but this time I noticed a tiny white wriggly worm in the bucket afterwards. Is this the cause of my problems?  I can't see any more, but over the last two days two more babys have died. I managed to get a video of the worm, but unfortunately it is too large to upload so I cant do that. I have lost over 15 fry in the last two weeks. I am wondering if I should move the remaining seven babys to my main aquarium in a fry net that I have, but I am worried that I may cause an infection in my main aquarium. Can anyone help with what could be happening and my options? Thanks

Try shining a torch on them when lights are out and see if they appear to have any sort of coating over their scales.  Could be so many things, inbreeding, water conditions, insufficient feeding, flukes, velvet and the list goes on.  Do you clean out your tank between spawnings? 

The white wiggly worm is likely planaria which comes from overfeeding and too much waste in the substrate.