New and starting again

Earl

Hi, I have just joined this group.  My husband and I have had fish for many years (was more my husbands domain), but like many others in Christchurch, our 2 tanks with a lot of fish were destroyed in the 2011 earthquake.  Just before Xmas I thought things were finally settled to restart back up.  Our intention was to have 1 medium size tank with some community fish.  2 months later we now have a 180 litre tank, 150 litre tank and a 45 litre tank with lots of community freshwater fish. This time I am taking a lot more interest in them and enjoying it, I hope to learn a little about the plant growing side of it and breeding the fish, eventually with the aim maybe later in the year of getting a large tank with divided areas to enable us to have more pure line guppies of different varieties.  In our biggest tank we have guppies, endlers, swordtails, cat fish, & baby bristle nose; in medium tank we blue mosgow guppies (black looking), a redtail shark, 2 swordtails, a cat fish and a large albino bristlenose; our little tank has baby moscoes plus lots of other random baby guppies from our snake skin female guppy (which are to little to young still to see how they are going to turn out).  

Welcome :) it sounds like you already have quite the collection!

Very cool to hear that you are trying to get some good lines of guppies going too,  Moscows look gorgeous :) my younger brother has snakeskins,  reds and imported 'purple mosaic' guppies.

Also great to hear that you also have gotten into the hobby! I am yet to convince my partner of how amazing fish keeping can be :P

What sort of plants are you starting to grow? I always seem to have a couple of plants drifting around in my fry grow outs and am happy to send some if it's wanted-- other fishkeepers did the same for me when I was new to aquatic plants :) 

Tip on how to get a partner interested in your fish keeping hobby - try and find an angle that interests them.

It may be they like gadgets so ask them to find a specific gadget for a specific fish keeping task or perhaps design a computer programme to help with feeding or breeding schedules etc.

See if you can find one sort of tank that may interest them more than another - some like big fish, others like lots of smaller ones. Some like sparse tanks, others prefer heavily planted landscapes and set up a tank aimed at their preference.

Ask for technical or artistic advice, depending on their interests.

Sometimes it will just be that they have no interest in them whatever you do. In that case, enjoy them on your own - as long as they don't object to anything you spend, or do, with regards to the hobby. Nobody wants a partner spending money on fish when there are more important bills to be paid or things they could be doing together with it.