volume vs shape of tank

Sandy

Sorry if the title is misleading but I was wondering how much difference there is when the volume is made up more from the height of the tank rather than the length.

The reason I ask is that i was putting in different sized tanks into aqadvisor and the stocking rate didnt change much between an 85 litre tank and a 125 litre tank when the difference between the two tanks was the height. 

I am wanting to have 10 neons, 2 dwarf honey gouramis, 6 albino corys and 3 otos and Im trying to figure out what tank I need. I put in some false sizes just as a test and I was surprised at the similiar stocking rates between the 85 and the 125.  I then put in the actual measurements for the aqua one AR620T which is 130 litres and the stocking rate sat at 85% but when I put in the measurements for the Juwel Rio 125 which is 125 ltres the stocking rate was 69%  In both cases I reduced the height because of the enclosed lid area until i reached the correct volume of water so the aqua one ended up being 55h and the juwel rio was 43h.  So, the aqua one  seems to get its volume from the height where as the juwel rio gets its volume from the length.  Makes sense really, I get that part, but Im mostly interested in the stocking rates being so different due to measurements rather than volume.

Does this show me that with the fish I am wanting I am better off with a longer tank rather than the higher one?

What did you enter as filtration for the tanks ?  I think that is what makes the difference. Otherwise Aqadvisor mainly seems to calculate for oxygen exchange based on surface area (ie the area where water meets air). So a deeper tank doesn't increase that area but a longer one does. If you were to add a really powerful filter, or a second filter I think you would see the stocking rate go up.

The majority of the time, surface area ("Footprint") is considered a major factor for fish. This will affect the amount of fish that can live and compete in one area of the tank (eg the number of bottom dwellers you can have). Volume is important for a variety of reasons including water quality, but Footprint is essential to prevent overcrowding and aggression (unlike us, fish can't move up a floor when annoying neighbours move in).

I would personally suggest perhaps getting two more Otocinclus - these guys are found in the thousands in the wild (and are predominantly wild-caught), so the more the better :) 

I was having a look at the aqua one 850 which is an even better option as far as stocking levels for the fish i want.  I did have 4 otos but 3 have died over the last 6 months so will add some more when I get the new tank sorted.  The one guy I have left seems happy enough but definately want to get him some mates.  I think if I go up in numbers with the otos then the 850 is a better option over the 620 as i really dont like going over 80% stocking levels.  Just my preference as Im still a newbie and like the fish to have plenty of space to move around.

I really dont know which filter to put into the aqadvisor for the aqua one all in one tanks cause they are built in filters.  They usually only tell you how many litres/hr they dont seem to say what their capacity is unless im missing something.  I do have a spare aqua one 102F which  I can add to the tank as well just to give it some oomph.

With the filtration with aqadvisor, if its a built in filter, I tend to try and find the equivalent in flow rate of which is listed in the input list on aqadvisor. Requires a bit of googling and isn't 100% accurate but it gives a good idea. +1 on the numbers for the otos and with most fish (excluding 'tall' fish like angels) I'd suggest a long a tank as possible over height as it gives more room for gas exchange, lateral swimming and territories (as mentioned by everyone else above). Also welcome to the club on the dwarf honeys, they're an awesome fish :D If you're feeling confident enough further down the track, you could possibly add more honeys, particularly if they're females :) I have a breeding group of 6 in my 60L (4 females, 2 males) and they're my favourite tank to watch because of the group interaction :) 

With the filtration with aqadvisor, if its a built in filter, I tend to try and find the equivalent in flow rate of which is listed in the input list on aqadvisor. Requires a bit of googling and isn't 100% accurate but it gives a good idea. +1 on the numbers for the otos and with most fish (excluding 'tall' fish like angels) I'd suggest a long a tank as possible over height as it gives more room for gas exchange, lateral swimming and territories (as mentioned by everyone else above). Also welcome to the club on the dwarf honeys, they're an awesome fish :D If you're feeling confident enough further down the track, you could possibly add more honeys, particularly if they're females :) I have a breeding group of 6 in my 60L (4 females, 2 males) and they're my favourite tank to watch because of the group interaction :) 

Thanks for that, will try and figure it out.  So with just 2 honey gouramis should they be a male and female or two of either the males or females.  I dont want to get into breeding but I dont want 2 males if there will be aggression.