what kind of substrate for a Baby Greek Tortoise?

Rodica

Hi 

Can someone please give me their opinion on what substrate they would use for a baby Greek Spur thigh Tortoise? I have been told Daltons Peat, but most research on the internet seems to say to use 50/50 Play sand & Top soil.  If this is a good idea what is the correct safe Top soil? Was also told not to get the Peat wet, but somehow think that might be a tad hard to always keep an eye on as the Tortoise could spill over it's water container etc.. while I am not around.

Also, what should the temperature be inside of the enclosure and underneath the basking area etc.. be? 

Thanks

Temperature inside enclosure should be around 25c and basking spot about 30c, I have used sand and soil dug from the garden mixxed together at about 50mm thick then gave it a light misting with a spray bottle daily.

Those glazed terracota plant saucers make a good water dish for them that is hard to tip over, what is the enclosure like?

Thanks for all your replies, I am now looking at housing my future tortoise in an outside enclosure.  I have a terrific aviary that is made of aluminium (I think). pretty sturdy and predator proof. I just hope it is suitable as it's really for a large parrot. It's long, over three metres with very sturdy wire mesh on top and on the sides. I'd like some opinions on this, whether people think this would t it would suit as either a Hermanns Tortoise or Greek Spur thighed Tortoise's outside enclosure. I have attached some photos. It has a portion that is covered and I intend to section some of it off to provide a rain proof enclosed part. Hope to get some replies as I am new to Tortoise keeping and want to get it right. I'll put some concrete down and then put it on top as I am aware I have to combat burrowing.

aviary front.jpg

aviary door.jpg

aviary 3 walls.jpg