Heating a 650L Aquarium

PowderPig

I'm looking at heating options for a new 650L African Cichlid aquarium (180x60x60cm).

I'm thinking 2 x Jager 200w heaters should work.? I'll put them in the tank as filtration is an Fx6 canister. My reasoning for 2 smaller heaters is if the unthinkable happens and one sticks on it shouldn't cook a tank that big..? 

Ultimately I'd like to add a heater controller, but this won't be happening right away. I'm interested in controller recommendations though, if anyone knows a good model or brand that would suit this setup.

Cheers

Most recommend 1 Watt per tank liter; though typically it depends on the ambient (room) temperature and your target tank temperature.

If the room is well insulated or heated, those 200W heaters should be okay.  Otherwise I suggest you buy 2x 300W instead (if not yet purchased).  I use two 300W Jager heaters for my 550L tank (okay 540L) which amply handles winter temperatures (tank is in an uninsulated garage). 

I have not used temp controllers before, but there are a number available on Trademe (mostly used by home brewers).  I do plan to build my own (temp controller), if time permits.

Thanks Guys, The tank will be in my living room. The house is well insulated and double glazed. Minimum winter room temperature may get as low as 15-16 deg C (if I was away for a weekend and not heating the house)  I'd hope to keep the water at 26 deg C. Easily most of the year would be less than 10 deg difference between room temp and water temp.

Those 300w Jagers are just so big! lol,  but I haven't bought anything yet so options are open.

Thanks for the help so far,

Cheers

Based on the information you have given:

180x60x60cm tank. Water at 26 degrees. Min temp of room is 16 degrees. Also assuming 10mm polystyrene under the tank but otherwise uninsulated.

When temp in room drops to 16 degrees you will need around 285W of heating to keep the tank at 26 degrees (continuous heating)

So yeah I would definitely go for at least 400W to be on the safe side.

I still have a copy of your aquarium heat loss calculator (excel spreadsheet), hovmoller.  Great tool, but I can't seem to find it in the forums now.

The cost difference between a 200W and a 300W Jager heater is $2, based on Trademe prices (same seller).  So cost is not a factor.

I'm not bothered by the length; it is not really a display tank.  My oscars though, seems to like "moving" them around.

I am currently putting together a 650l set up my self, using a 300l sump to house all the gear though.

I have gone with 3x el-cheepo 300w Jebo heaters (think they were $15 each), but will control them via a 240v STC-1000 temp controller hooked up to a 4x multi board. Have used these in the past and they are great, 0.1deg adjustment and accuracy, and you can adjust how much temp drop before it switches on (have mine at .5deg), can also easily calibrate the temp.

Has a large red LCD display

the one I'm running on my 450l tank controls both heating and cooling with a relay each. but the single (either heating or cooling) relay units sell for around $30 on TM

Requires a little DIY to install in line with the heaters. and make up a nice mount for it

I am just going to set the jebo heaters in the sump to 27-28 deg, and the controller at 26deg, then if the controller dose fail the heaters thermostats will be the back-up

Iv had a perched branded heater stick before and cook 30 odd Africans, some I will never be able to replace. So don't rely on a single failsafe, just in case

No, I haven't considered inline, though now you mention it I'll have to look into it. Thanks

So I'll need at least the 2x 200w heaters, with 2x 300w being a more prudent choice. Thanks for crunching the numbers for me hovmoller

Very envious of your 300l sump setup flymike, might convert to a large sump myself further down the track. I'll look into that controller recommendation too cheers

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it's much appreciated.