Starting up a new tank after more than 10 years

alienara2

As the title says, it's been a while so I'm going to need some help.

Tank is a 200L tank, I'm planning to make it a tropical community tank starting with guppies so the kids can get excited about it too. I know that I'll need substrate and lots of plants for it so looking for any and all advice that anyone can give. 

Saw this video about the broke-as aquarium (which basically reflects my wallet once this is done) and it recommended garden soil, baked to kill off organisms in the soil and then used as substrate with gravel on top. Yes/No anyone?

Thanks!

Yes.

But there is more to it then just throwing in soil and covering with gravel.  What you would have seen is Walstrad type of aquarium, a low tech method of getting reasonably good plant growth without fertilising, high wattage lights and pumping in CO2.  I tried it once and found it works well if everything is done right but can be a real mess if done wrong.  What ever you do, do not disturb the soil once the tanks established.  The nutrients in the soil need to stay under that gravel, if disturbed then algae will have a field day.

Here's the first link that popped up with google for it: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

Yes.

But there is more to it then just throwing in soil and covering with gravel.  What you would have seen is Walstrad type of aquarium, a low tech method of getting reasonably good plant growth without fertilising, high wattage lights and pumping in CO2.  I tried it once and found it works well if everything is done right but can be a real mess if done wrong.  What ever you do, do not disturb the soil once the tanks established.  The nutrients in the soil need to stay under that gravel, if disturbed then algae will have a field day.

Here's the first link that popped up with google for it: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

much thanks Shiloh! I'm going to try it out

You can always used Daltons aquatic mix, capped off with Daltons propagating sand or another gravel.  Daltons is not expensive as substrate ferts go but like all of them you do need to be careful not to disturb the mix otherwise it puts clouds into the water column for a while.  It works very well and is way cheaper than flourite or aquabasis.  Of course it depends on your plants but any root feeders will thrive on it.

Oxygen plants - I think coldwater too.