Help setting up new chiller.

Gbangr

Hey just scored a second hand hailea hc-1000a but didnt come with manual or instructions. I have never set a chiller up before can you empty water from inside by tipping and letting it run out the inlet and outlet? Also do you fill with water before turning on? And what kind of filter system works best?

I found a Hailea HC instruction manual on the net, have forgotten where it was but if you PM me an email address I can send it to you.  Its for a 1/4 - 1/2 HP one but the instructions will be the same as yours.

But operation is easy.  Connect the outlet of your pump or canister filter to the chillers inlet and the chillers outlet to the return in your tank.  Turn on the pump and then turn on the chiller.  Press the SET button for 3 seconds and when flashing use the up or down buttons to set the temperature you want.  Press the set button again to finish programming it.  The display on the chiller will tell you what the current water temperature is and will automatically turn on or off to bring it down to the programmed temperature.

Make sure that it is at least a foot away from any walls and if possible don't put it in a stand where there is no air movement.  Like any fridge it chills things on the inside but heats up at the back of it.  If there is no air circulation then it will have to work a lot harder then necessary.

Only maintenance needed is to clean the air filters once every 6 months or so.

Like any refrigeration unit I wouldn't recommend tipping it upside down.  If you do tip it on an angle, then leave it a couple of hours for the coolant gas to settle before turning it on.  Yes you need water in it before running, just connect to a pump or your filter with the outlet going into the tank.  If you want to clear out any old water and potential gunk then a hose from a large container of water to your pump or filter through the chiller and back into the container.  Run a hose in the container to flush out any old water.  At least that's what I did when I got mine.

Chillers generally have a sticker on them saying something like "do not turn upside down" so I wouldnt risk it... Although Shilo seems to know what he's talking about :)

To clean it you could probably just hook it up to the garden hose...

Any pump or filter will work but the cleaner the water is flowing through it the less likely you are to get a blockage. Plumbing in after the sump like livingart said would be ideal, but if youre not doing a sump just hook it up to the return from a canister filter.

You need to pump water through the chiller and a return hose on the out side of chiller fittings

get a big bucket of water put pump in it then fill with water, connect to IN side of chiller put OUT hose in same bucket

turn pump on so water flows through the chiller, make sure enough water in bucket

On chiller display will be the temperature the water is at

to set temp hold set button down until display starts flashing

use arrows to set temp you want then hold set down till stops flashing

As Livingart said - no pump built into the chiller.  When working out your filter if you are going for a sump then of course you will need a pump for the whole system, but if going for a canister filter then the filter will have an inbuilt pump in it.

Work out how powerful the filter or the pump needs to be for your sized tank, amount of flow you want, and the head (height it has to pump up to). Then because the chiller will add more friction to the flow of water I recommend getting at least the next size up pump or filter.  For my tank I worked out that I wanted 3000 litres / hour circulating through the tank and sump so got a 4000 lph pump.  Now I have it set up and cycling the tank I wish I had got a 6000 lph, 4000 is amble at full bore but wouldn't mind that little bit extra.  If you go for a Jebao DCT or similar DC pump you can dial down or up the flow via the controller.  I haven't looked at canister filters but assume the more $ ones would do the same?