Betta Fighting Fish

Duke3d

Am wondering if there are any serious keepers out there of these fish. I have just purchased a male and 5 females and have them all in a 70litre tank. I have tried very hard to work out whether they can stay in a tank like this but it seems the male has to be kept seperate? Any comments on this?

For a tank this size, and knowing the fish doesn't like much water flow, what could someone recommend for filtering - just an air stone??

Awaiting all of your thoughts.......

Oh goodie...lets share information :lol: I have 3 males in three separate tanks (obviously) and one female (my mother got her for me from Redwoods...where did you get your girls from? and what colours are they?)

I had her in the community tank with betta 1....and they tolerated each other fine with no real harrassment from either...basically she was more keen on him than he was on her. I have since shifted her into another tank (inside a container) to introduce her to betta 2. Now he thought she was a bit of alright and she flirted outrageously...until we let her out. He was a gentleman but she was nervous by his attention...they have since been moved to a tank of their own...and i have a bowl sitting inside the tank which is her home.....i had it so the inlet of the filter was in the tank and the outlet feeding into her bowl...which then overflowed into his tank. Unfortunately the filter was not that brilliant and i have since moved this filter to the baby tank and have a cannister filter running in his tank with an airhose that i just oput on occasionally in her bowl. The temperature is controlled in her bowl as it sits in the warm water of his tank. i will be doing daily water changes of her bowl to help counteract the fact that their is no filtration in there at present. He is building a bubblenest...she i think is not quite ready although is showing interest. In the tank next door betta 3 waits lol (dooooo-dooooooooo....*plays jaws music*)

Yes I need to find a small enough filter which doesn't produce a big airflow that would do the job!! Sounds simple enough. Got 5 different colours and all from Redwoods - they have quite a few left. Some real pretty ones - I had always thought that the females were quite bland but not these jobies - quite cool. Please keep me informed of how the mating goes. I bought a breeding net/cage which simply clips over the edge of the tank which should work quite well I think (definitely saves the filter issue).

i have fighters and have found them so much fun to keep - they each have their own little personalities etc........

I have got one male and a heap of young ones in a 182L filtered tank along with gourami, platy, tetras, pleco and cory. they dont mind the flowing water in fact i have watched some of them swimming against the current on a regular basis.

while they were still little i had them in a tank with a sponge filter but as they got older and bigger (so that a normal filter couldnt absorb them) i moved them from the little 20L into a 50L+ with a normal filter and they didnt even seem to notice the difference.

and in your case just having females in the tank should be fine with a normal filter as they dont have the same amount of weight to drag them down as a male does.

i have kept both male and female together in a large tank and didnt really have much problem with them but did keep an eye out and when trouble looked to be brewing was able to xfer the male to his own little realm.

for breeding dont put them in a breeding net - they need a tank area of their own to breed in as there is generally a large number of eggs and if all goes well u will have upto 100+ babies and keeping them in a net or breeding tank is not a good idea as the father stays with them til they are free swimming. I kept the babies in a 20L tank with a sponge filter, plants and air bubble thingee......this did great work until they were too big for the little tank and i moved them to the 50L and then gradually seperated the larger ones for grow out and selling.

other than that and keeping males seperate they are an easy fish to keep

good luck

What the heck do I do with that many babies - I suppose they can be used as food for other fish!!!! Well time to put a post on the trade section to get some more tanks!! They are definitely a neat fish, always waiting for their food, don't mind touching your finger (well I think its an attempted bight more than anything). Characters thats for sure.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

More tanks, more filters, more stones, more heaters, another light - when does this end. I CAN'T STOP!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a clown tail siamese fighting fish{ the ones where the tail starts to split when they mature} and i keep him in about a 20l tank. Personally i wouldn't recommend a huge tank for this fish as they can breath directly from the air and they dont move around all that much. If you notice they are usually kept in tiny tanks. All fighters are different to me and have different sorts of personalities, but mine deffinately hates to be kept with alot of top feeders because of fin nipping. the only other top feeder i keep with it is a neon dwarf goarami.

Just cos they get kept in small tanks does not mean they should be..... that would be like keeping a pleco in a tank that only allows him room to turn around.....

fighters will swim about if given the space and i wouldnt let the space be any smaller than 12L.....defintely keep them away from fin nippers.....and as to having all ur females and male together just keep an eye on them cos there mite end up being territory disputes esp as the females vie for the males attention later on when wanting to breed. if ur short on space a divider is always a good idea - kinda like a two in one.....i used this when i had two males and my second heater died making the second tank unusable

ive bred bettas once, lots of fun! i would recommend having an extra 'breeding tank', with an air driven sponge filter (so babies dont get sucked in, as they like feeding off the filter) and a small amount (or preferably none at all) of gravel. i found alot of my eggs (and young babies) fell out of the bubble nest, even though my male did his best catching and putting back. once they fell into the gravel he lost them. i lost alot of eggs because of this. also i wouldnt recommend a high tank. my tank was way too high. my male got very exhausted going up and down catching eggs. i removed the female once she had released all her eggs (they spawned about 3 times in a row that day). i left the male in the tank for about 3 or 4 days, untill all the babies were free swimming (was told male will eat babies, is this true?)

anyways, hope this helps. and have lots of fun!!!

yes in most cases a male may eat the babies once they are free swimming so taking him out prevents loss of life but also means the babies have the run of the tank and u dont have to keep an eye on dad = tho there have been some cases where dad didnt eat them but most people will take him out to give him some rest and relaxation

sorry aqua.

You said something about '' Just because bettas are kept in small tanks doesnt mean they should be ". I didnt mean as small as what some stores keep them in {e.g cup size containers}. I meant something around 20l for a Betta minimum :oops: . i meant to say that to not to keep them in a huge tank because they dont move around like say... tetras, loaches and other active fish do.

thanx Morgie

• 2 weeks later...