Feeding dwarf puffers

fishy lady

In all honesty, I wouldn't even bother try them on dry foods. They are strictly carnivorous fish, and a diet of pellets probably isn't that great for them.

Snails make an excellent staple - red ramshorns, brown ramshorns and pond/bladder snails are enjoyed by mine. Most puffs won't touch MTS.

Bits of shrimp, frozen/live Daphnia and BBS, and live Blackworms & White worms are also all good. Blackworms also make for a good staple.

Bloodworms are good treats, but aren't particularly nutritious and usually a gutloaded snail and some Blackworms work wonders :)

Personally, mine wouldn't touch Microworms. They were too small to eat, so they just let them sink to the bottom :roll:

I had heard of some people giving pellets so was just wondering... Currently have MTS, wee few ramshorns that don't seem to be breeding like I thought they would, white worms, got free microworms culture with them so might as well try that? And have bloodworms already too. I've heard they can be really picky so wanted to try have a variety on hand for when they arrive.

If you're gna go with feeding them mystery snails, make sure you start feeding them early on-- my puffer won't eat snails over a certain size. I've currently got mine mostly eating ramshorn snails with a few bloodworms here and there. Yet to try him on white or blackworms but have heard good things so will probably buy a culture at some stage.

• 5 weeks later...

Were shipped down from Hff, very cute and inquisitive fish! Mine will not touch flakes at all - flakes fed to the feeder baby guppies that he will not touch either...but he loves his ramshorns and pond snails, goes nuts for live white worms and will get frozen bloodworms a couple times a week. He definitely prefers live food!!