Seahorses

djsurfs

not me, but one of my friends wanted to get them, decided not to after finding out how much chillers cost! she wanted cold water seahorses as they are meant to be easier to keep than the tropical ones. problem is it gets too hot here in nelson during summer, they'd cook! :D:D:D

The local pet shop has one set up and as soon as they put the chiller on it became a new tank.they are quite neat and your right it is a shame about the chiller price.There cheapest is about $700.00 i think as the stock take specials are all gone.

I’ve had seahorses (pot bellies) since September last year. I don’t have a chiller or a skimmer. Tank temp only got up to 24 over summer which isn’t really a good advertisement for Wellington weather I suppose. But the room the tank is in does not get any sunlight.

Best advice is to allow 3 months for the tank to cycle properly and carefully monitor the PH.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I’ve had seahorses (pot bellies) since September last year. I don’t have a chiller or a skimmer. Tank temp only got up to 24 over summer which isn’t really a good advertisement for Wellington weather I suppose. But the room the tank is in does not get any sunlight.

Best advice is to allow 3 months for the tank to cycle properly and carefully monitor the PH.

did you 'regulate' the temperature at all? Say, with just a fan blowing over the top of the tank, or something similar? I'm guessing that'd lead to quite a bit of evaporation.. hmm

I'm thinking a tank during winter it'd be okay - the flat has poor insulation. But in summer i don't wanna have seahorse stew. (mmm, or do i?)

i wonder - i have an external filter with a compartment that could be submersed in coldness (with an ice-cream container and ice cubes.. crude..) but that could lower the temperature a smidgen? Probably not worth it, seeing as it's so small.. It'd need a lot of attention to keep just that little thing cold.

Hmm, maybe i'll just save up for a chille,r seeing as i won't set up the tank til december anyway. Gotta love thinking out loud.