Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

undergravel filters

Featured Replies

I don't hear alot of talk about undergravel filters these days.

Years ago they were everywhere and years ago used them and they seemed to work.

The question is then is there any merit in using them again? Would anyone recommend using one in a 100 litre planted tank with 12 Fish?

Oldies but goodies. I have always been a fan of them and they are quick, easy and cheap.

Sure, they may not be as good as the new newfangled fancy canister filters but they still do the job (and take up less room).

Just make sure you have at least 5cm of substrate over the plates, to give the plant roots plenty to anchor themselves in, and do not have any gravel burrowing fish.

Can't use them with sand :dunno: I have sand in all of my tanks because I keep mostly catfish & the occasional loach shoal. And for DSBs and plants. So I use sponge filters for breeders, HOBs for small tanks and canisters for anything over 100L for superior filtration (and though I have no sumps, sumps for tanks over 300L). So they don't really fit in anywhere for me - I'm new enough to fishkeeping to have never actually seen one in action, but my father apparently used to have one and hated it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.