using normal flouro's

beachy

No, you can't use normal flouros. If you do that you may end up not wasting your money on "aquarium lights" Then you'll spend the piles of money you saved on fish, overstock your tank and then have all kinds of problems.

(In case you didn't catch my sarcasm, Yes, you can use normal fluoros) It usually looks better if you get 6500K ones, they're not as yellow. Usually sold as cool white.

Beachy - There is lots of marketing with fish trade light bulbs. Lots of information on Advanced Aquairust Online about who re-badged what bulbs etc.

The bottom line is ANY fluro within the 6000-7200 Kelvin light spectrum will be ideal. I personally use 6500k bulbs from Osram on my freshwater tank, the 4 footers cost about $9ea.

There is no advantage to using the $30-$70 pet-store brands at all.

Regardless of description 'daylight' 'dayglow' 'natural' 'evening' etc the most important factor is the KELVIN rating, 6000-7200 is where you need to be, NOTHING else is usefull (not really true, advanced plant keepers and people showing of certain fish colours may choose different lighting for this reason), stick to what i've said and you can't go wrong.

Any electrical store will stock these bulbs, and if you ask them about Kelvins they will know exactly what your talking about.

Piemania

If you can get the bulbs for trade (find an electrician mate) you can get the tubes Pies talks about even cheaper. Last time I got them they were $4.50ea +GST ($5.06ea).

You guys ar paying far too much :-)

My rate is $2.50 each +gst

/Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Pies,

You've recommended 6000-7200K bulbs. What happens if you use others? You only really need lights for the plants. Of course, lighting can also make the tank look pretty. What's required for the plants?

I'm using special 'ultra-white' 12V tungsten halogen bare bulbs (nominally 3500K for the bare bulb, but I've seen the sealed dichroic reflector versions advertised at 5000K) and my plants seem to growing ok. Since I've never seen anyone using these before (see my post under DIY light hoods) I was wondering about possible negative effects. Can anyone cast any light on this?

Halogens emit red light which many have found their plants don't like much although swords seem to like it. The red end of the light spectrum is the low end 3000K and most people use as above the 6000-7200K hotter white type. 9000K is blue hot like light reflected off the blue sky.

Robert Smith - Good question/s. As stated halogens are very inefficient lighting, not often used as there are many better options out there. In all honestly I have never used them, so only telling you what I have read, no experance myself.

Kelvin/Colour spectrum - Negitive effects? Algae, poor/un-natural growth at a guess. Check something like the lighting articles on advancedaquairust online for more info on what the different spectrums provide for our tanks.

All that aside, there is also the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' to throw in their too.

Good luck!

Pies

From what I've seen, 3500K might be a bit on the cool side, but 5000K sounds about right for tropicals. Shallow water species of plant and fish are used to light which is more like natural sunlight (5500K), rather than deeper water fish which is more blue.

I didn't have any problems with algae until the sun got low enough (winter is upon us!) to reflect off a neighbour's window and cuts across part of the tank. At that spot I have algae.

When summer was in full swing my apartment got up to 35oC (I'm in Oz) and the tank started to overheat. The lamps wouldn't have helped, but they don't pump out too much heat and it's hardly noticeable). I'll measure the air temperature above the glass cover with a thermometer.

The big advantage is that it's very cheap, very easy, very safe (any idiot can wire up 12V) and very small (I had only 25mm clearance between my hood and the glass cover). It's also quite artistic with the ability to create spotlight effects.