Koura! Koura! Koura!

SeargentSkull

It's been too long! Had to settle with bullies and inanga, not that I'm complaining. I finally got them, 3 koura and I believe a giant kokopu, roughly 17 cm. Two small koura 7-9 cams and biggest at 15. Kokopu in pond. Koura in very small tank getting a bigger one in a few days, it will have a way of keeping water cold, not quite a chiller though, also caught a Redfin and saw what looked like a lamprey but most likely an eel. I'll get photos soon. Thanks everyone for all the help, I would have never started a native tank without the help of this forum.

It's been too long! Had to settle with bullies and inanga, not that I'm complaining. I finally got them, 3 koura and I believe a giant kokopu, roughly 17 cm. Two small koura 7-9 cams and biggest at 15. Kokopu in pond. Koura in very small tank getting a bigger one in a few days, it will have a way of keeping water cold, not quite a chiller though, also caught a Redfin and saw what looked like a lamprey but most likely an eel. I'll get photos soon. Thanks everyone for all the help, I would have never started a native tank without the help of this forum.

Good on ya mate, can you get us pics of the giant kokopu? Chillers are definitely worth the investment, fortunately you're going into this hobby over winter so you'll have a bit more time to get one as you'll have less difficulty in keeping the temperature below 20*c, however you'll need a chiller come summer.

On that note though, if you're serious about getting into natives, then you should invest in a decent size chiller that can accommodate tanks of a reasonable size, they often come up on trademe for reasonable prices, else you can buy em overseas.

Great :D

Glad you've found what you've been after! Now that you're finding fish just remember to only take a small number of a population and try to take the smaller specimens.

Pics of the Giant Kokopu would be great.

Chillers are definitely worth the investment, fortunately you're going into this hobby over winter so you'll have a bit more time to get one as you'll have less difficulty in keeping the temperature below 20*c, however you'll need a chiller come summer.

+1

Also what would bullies and koura and kokopu eat?

Bugs. Aquatic, airborne and garden.

Bloodworms and animal heart can be easier to get and are high in protein.

High protein pellets are good if you can get your fish to eat them.

Raw shrimp and prawn are also good.

Vegetables (Boiled peas are nice and easy) and/or algae wafers are needed for koura.

• 1 month later...

Hi ya I'm a noob too.

My Koura go nuts for blood worms and peas and something new I have just tried was getting leaves out of the local stream and freezing them over night to kill any bad bugs ( i hope ) then Chuck em in.

it's cool to watch them have a munch or carry back with them and stash it for later