Kahawai requirements

kiwiraka

I know it's been asked before, but just a few questions.

Minimum tank size? Preferably for a trio, but I'm guessing even one would need a pretty big tank?

Recommended turnover?

Healthy diet?

And how would you catch them?

I went snorkelling with some some friends recently and there were schools of 30+ 2-3cm kahawai, a few of them were silver and yellow instead of the silver and brown colour of the rest. Do they grow up a different colour, or do they change as they get older?

I'm guessing the temp would be the same as FW natives? Or would they need even colder?

Thanks

The way to catch them is with a good old fashioned rod and line and I belive they may need a round eged tank

Lol, I was wondering if there was a more effective method, as I imagine target fishing for fish of that size would be extremely difficult. Would it be possible with a hand net? Or are they too fast?

Would they really need a round edged tank, I thought only sharks, stingrays and jelly fish needed those.

Rock Cod, Bearded Cod

Lotella rhacinus

Beardie%20568-37_big.jpg

Difficulty: Medium.

Description: The Rock Cod is yellow-grey to red-brown with white fin margins. It has an eel shaped body which is covered with tiny cycloid scales. There is a barbel on the chin and juvenile fish are black in colour. Grows to 70cm and over 6kg in weight, and can live as long as 11 years.

Habitat: They are found around the coastline It is usually seen in caves, in bays and coastal reefs, depth range 10 - 90 m

Temperament: Usually peaceful.

Minimun Tank Size: 400 litres, more as it matures.

Tank Age / Maturity: At least 6 months

Diet: Readily accept all foods both live and frozen Pods, mysid, raw mussel, prawn and meaty foods.

Special Requirements: As they are cave dwellers nooks and crannies should be provided.

Incompatibilities: Seem to do well with all fish so long as they don’t fit in its mouth.