Inanga and bully pond

SeargentSkull

Hi.I have incorporated a little running stream bed(so a small pond at the top that overflows down the streambed into a bigger pond) this aerates and filters the water.

you need a pump and good quality pond liner. Got mine from mitre10 mega.

You can increase shade with azolla and duckweed -the water movement keeps a space open. ..but some people hate this type of weed...

:iag: So that's how you make the pond. I'll just add that you'll have to decide between an eel pond and having bullies and koura.... They won't mix well. And also if you do decide on an eel pond you will need a large pond as both nz species grow to over a metre and are messy eaters. Also you'll want the pond well shaded and largest possible volume as the temp can really heat up, even when the water is below ground level.

I don't know of any auckland spots, willyp123 would be your best bet.

Temp below 20 degrees preferably 14-18.

Feeding is easier in ponds, the fish will get lots of bugs that land on or fall into the water, you can feed them with heart, shrimp and bugs (just as if they were in a tank) Also koura will need plenty of greens.

Oh and same questions about mullet e.g. where to find how to keep

Usually found in tidal streams or estuaries. Feeding, I've found that they prefer very fine foods, crumbled flakes are good, the biggest food mine eat is mosquito larvae. I've had best success with the food mix I made myself, because it breaks into small pieces easily and also crumbles a bit as it falls through the water and they just swim along like vacuum cleaners sucking it all up. Best to be kept in in groups of atleast 3 probably better to have 5 as they school and I've noticed that they seem to get nervous if they lose their school.

EDIT: Just remember that they can grow over half a metre so not a good idea unless you have a large pond. Also, make sure you get grey mullet, Yellow eyed mullet can't live in fresh water.