local nz cold water marine help

Jmc_fishkeeper

hi there Im wanting to start a coldwater marine tank and what tips and setups can you guys give me adivice with ?I have a 200 litre tank that I want to convert it and several tanks to create a sump with if this is the best way for fitration. can I just go to the beach and take what I can find or do I have to have a license of some sort? really intetested in doing this as itd would be great for my kids too learn about our waters aswell , I am a beginner and this would be my first saltwater tank so any help would be much appreciated

My very first marine tank was very basic, I simply fossicked around the rock pools & chose a few rocks with awesome growths etc living on them, put them in the tank, and it worked. Cycling didn't happen because the rocks already were cycled. However our rocks are not porous in the right way for nitrate filtration but that happened via a deep sand bed. The sand was taken from a layer of coarser sand at the beach, it was definitely a budget tank.

Even though the DSB had to cycle there was no spike in any part of the nitrogen cycle because it got seeded very quickly off the rocks, and the bio load was light only had one fish, a blennie, which quickly got very tame and would eat out of my hand. Other than that it was invertebrates such as shrimps and anything else I could find.

Initially I used a canister filter out of ignorance and lack of good info in those days. Once I discovered that was wrong for marine and removed it, the health of the organisms in the tank did improve.

Added a protein skimmer later which improved things.

However to do a cold water marine right, coral rock should be used, it has the right type of porousness to achieve nitrate reduction and greatly increase the bioload capacity of the tank. Coral rock does not have to be cycled in the tank. I have cycled it by leaving it in a rock pool for a couple of months. That way it gets every bacteria type you would find in the sea in that situation, and comes back to the tank smelling good and ready to start work at purifying the water.

In terms of water quality and filtration, the exact same rules apply to a cold water tank as a tropical one, what is described in the Basic Marine Starter Guide applies equally to cold water marine.

Link here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23675

Get a temp reading, If the temp exceeds 20 degrees on a hot day you'd be best off getting a chiller.

NSW is used by most people. r/o?

(I've been researching saltwater tanks a lot recently (my next, next project, my friend knows where to get <4cm kahawai so as soon as I've sorted out a chiller for my FW natives I'll be saving up for a chiller and sump for a kahawai tank :ton: )

I ran a local rockpool marine for a couple of years but lack of a chiller meant I could not keep the temperature down at the required level so had to give it up.

All I did was set up a 3ft tank, went down the Kaikoura coast and gathered up rocks, water and rock pool inhabitants then took it all home and poured it in the waiting tank (the rocks were carefully placed first ;-) )

I had a HOB filter and nothing else.

There were lots of shrimp plus little red jelly anemones, a triplefin or two and a rockfish, a sea cucumber, chitons, starfish, brittlestars, and for a while, a baby octopus that a fishing friend brought in for us.

As the room sat at 28C in summer and the water needed to be 15C or below, the freezer worked overtime freezing 3L bottles of water and still didn't get lower than 18C.

Personally, I think you really need to setup any marine tank the same - just because you can collect animals for free at the local beach, doesn't mean you should care for them any differently.

Would anyone buy tropical fish or corals, and throw them in a tank the same day with some beach water, no cycling of the tank, and throw in some incorrect and possibly toxic rocks, sand with who knows what in it, and cool them intermittitly with ice bottles, etc.

As per Living arts article, a bit of patience and correct advise goes along way.

No offence meant, something I'm quite stubborn about tis all.