Feeding your fish dried seaweed or nori.

Likoma

I have put together a video showcasing how we feed our fish. We have been feeding our fish, African cichlids, dried seaweed or nori for over a year now. In that time we have noticed improved health and coloring in a very large group of fish(all of them).

We used to only feed Hikari and Nls. Both are great foods but I still felt like I was macdonalding our fish.

With such large groups of fish I had to feed excessively to get the smallest guys fed.

This led me on the path of discovery and we haven't looked back. With so much veg food I'm able to feed freeze dried krill to all fish.

Now I don't recommend this but it's pretty good evidence on how good the nori is. Make sure you get one without any additives and if your stuck I have some spare packets.

Enjoy the video and subscribe to pick up the latest content.

http://youtu.be/3VUU2sk5V8Ah

Sorry I should have added the caveat that they won't grow they will survive, Thanks Caryl.

I use a few on rotation. 6 months in the water and then sit them out the tank with roots in the water for a few months. This allows them to bounce back and look great for their next breath holds session.

Hey there Shayne,

I still feed Hikari as I feel it's the better of the 2.

In the morning I crush up a small square of nori and a sprinkling of sinking pellets. Mix it up with water in a jug,This ensures that fish like tropheus get to it, pour it in.

midday the fish get fed some more nori.

Evening the fish get fed earthworms, freeze dried krill and more nori.

For most people a single feeding of nori will be sweet as it doesn't get as broken down as processed foods. Little bits can be seen floating around to be delt with by your filter.

We sell a 100 sheets of nori for $35.

I have some very nice looking jacobfreibergei peacocks that will look great in your tank.

Cheers Greg

Just gave it a try tonight, and the fish don't seem over keen on it just yet, though I'm wondering if the sheet was a bit old as it was quite hard to rip. Does it take a bit for fish to get used to it if they haven't had it before?

Is there a special type or brand that you use?

Awesome. Make sure it has flavorants.

Its a fish perception thing.Would you eat rabbit food after growing up on MacDonalds, that supposedly tastes so good.

You might have to coerce them a bit. 3 days of no food. Then a trial feeding.

Dont cave in to them though. "Please feed me, more sir"

Good luck

• 8 months later...

It has been a while since putting this post up. The feeding experiment is still going on. We now feed a combination of krill and nori blended together, Norill. Since it is Winter time we have been running shortened lighting periods, lower temperatures and way less commercial food, Hikari.

Results are excellent with fish like Tropheus relishing it. We have had zero outbreaks of internal flagellates in a year since starting the feeding experiment. It seems the high the vegetable diet has made the import of meds like metronidazole unnecessary.

Tropheus and Labeotropheus are very similar fish both favoring the shallow waters where there is lots of algae. When it goes wrong they are the indicating species. They are doing well on the diet of Norill (60% nori, 40% krill) and earthworms gut loaded on kale, carrot and other goodies.

Our suggestion is to feed Nori as a supllement food with commercial foods making up the major part. This is not due a health issue more a clarity issue. The nori is not broken down easily into minute partciels and if your filtration is not up to scratch you will be infuriated by a revolving nori poo remnants. For us the health of the fish is the most important aspect, but I am realist and there is a balance.

Cheers

Greg