February 15, 201511 yr comment_559222 Glasshouses - with glass and not plastic - drop to the same temperature as the outside temp in winter unless you run heaters. Plastic ones I don't know about. My father was a market gardener and used to spray the glass with a mix of flour and water in the summer to stop the plant leaves burning. In the winter (ChCh) he dug up the beds and left them bare as it was too cold to grow. I think the humidity/heat from your fish room may be too much for them to cope with. What about your lounge? Report
February 15, 201511 yr Author comment_559224 I think the humidity/heat from your fish room may be too much for them to cope with. Three months in, so far so good They are very low to the ground so that may be helping. Was thinking I could move the greenhouse inside the room over winter, but not sure how I would get light into it. I suspect if glass drops in temp that the plastic probably would as well, although the lady from Bunnings this morning aid she had no problem with her plastic one over winter with her plants. Report
February 15, 201511 yr Author comment_559225 I have also changed my heating source from heat pump to oil heater as a trial to make it more economical. So will see if that changes humidity of the room. Report
February 15, 201511 yr comment_559250 Oil burners produce water and CO2 so that will help the plants to get carbon and will increase the humidity. Just make sure that it gets enough O2 or you will kill yourself with carbon monoxide. I used to move them to the lounge under four flourescent tubes. Report
February 16, 201511 yr Author comment_559276 Oil burners produce water and CO2 so that will help the plants to get carbon and will increase the humidity. Just make sure that it gets enough O2 or you will kill yourself with carbon monoxide. I used to move them to the lounge under four flourescent tubes. That I did not know at all. I will make sure to open the door for a few minutes until I go in then. Report
February 16, 201511 yr comment_559278 Burning any organic fuel like kero, lpg or diesel produces water and CO2. lack of O2 produces CO which combines with your red blood cells and does not release as O2 does so you run out of useful haemoglobin, go to sleep and die like a person gassing themselves with a car exhaust. Report
February 16, 201511 yr Author comment_559286 Are we talking about the same thing? A oil column heater that plugs into the wall? Report
February 16, 201511 yr comment_559287 Obviously not. They just use the oil to store the heat which comes from the electricity. Hope you didn't lose too much sleep. Report
February 17, 201511 yr comment_559300 A few people are no longer with us from using kero or lpg heaters in a restricted space like a caravan Report
March 19, 201511 yr Author comment_559990 I need another stand and more tubs for better growth.... Report
March 20, 201511 yr comment_560056 Life is easier if you keep the humidity right down where you can. Report
March 20, 201511 yr comment_560069 I used to grow them like pot plants in a glasshouse with the normal humidity of the day. Just keep the roots wet. Some will need higher humidity such as Java fern and anubius Report
March 20, 201511 yr Author comment_560070 I.might take one off and see how it goes. There should be enough humidity in the room Report
March 20, 201511 yr comment_560072 Experimenting will teach you what works for you. Just make one change at a time so you know which change it was that worked for you. Report
March 22, 201511 yr comment_560113 Ooh - looking super healthy! Wonder whether I can sneak a setup in the house Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.