Breeding the Thicklip Gourami?

alexyay

Trichogaster labiosa - has anyone bred these guys or other Trichogaster sp?

- Did you have the female separate at all? Eg in a box while the male built the nest?

When I first tried they bred but there was no nest, so it ended up being unsuccessful. Now he may build a small nest overnight but it gets destroyed during the day. Wondering whether I need to be separating her? They are being fed bloodworms daily. A right pain trying to separate her without making huge water movements.

- What was your water level exactly?

- How soon after do you remove the female? If you accidentally left her in for a day after the spawn, will she just eat every egg in sight?

- What do you personally prefer for him to build a nest under? I've found the poly cups seem to be working (only been using them for a couple of days). He wouldn't build it under the floating poly that I provided earlier.

- Is it OK for me to use glad wrap around most of the tank even though they haven't spawned yet?

- How often did you do water changes? I'm avoiding WCs but the evaporation is a bit too high to avoid at least putting in new water (because they've been in there for weeks with no luck I've been doing WCs every second day)

Uh, I think that's it. Needless to say I'm not having much luck with them so far. Mostly him breeding when he doesn't have a nest and everything screwing up. Probably as simple as me being too crazy about getting it right :nilly:

No experience with Gourami at all but plenty with fighters.

Some of my fighters bred without building a nest - some built the nest later after the eggs had dropped. Others never did.

What happens when the female drops the eggs? What do they do with them?

No experience with Gourami at all but plenty with fighters.

Some of my fighters bred without building a nest - some built the nest later after the eggs had dropped. Others never did.

What happens when the female drops the eggs? What do they do with them?

It was a while back but I came back in the morning and nada. She was a lot smaller so I figured they had bred but couldn't find anything - he wasn't protecting anything. He's been really pathetic at protecting the nest - driving me crazy. I had a boy about a year ago who would make a nest in the community tank and he was SO protective and made these huge nests about an inch deep - this guy hasn't done much at all in comparison!

I forgot to ask -

- Does anyone turn the lights on or do you just use the surrounding light? Does turning the light on have any adverse affects? Have been turning the light on during the day and want to make sure that's not eg preventing them from feeling safe or anything. They've become very friendly since being moved as they now hand feed, so aren't too skittish and it's heavily planted. Don't want the plants dying or anything but am happy to stop turning the light on.