Bullys

Benjansss

I used to keep bully's and I've decided to start again and over a few years i would like to get three of each type (two girls and a boy) and i wanted to know a few things are all types of bully's ok to keep in tanks can they all eat normal fish food and is there a universal way to tell the sex of a bully's and if all bullys can breed without the sea

For food yes they can eat commercial foods but high protein and high quality is best. A better diet is bugs, heart from the supermarket or butcher and raw shrimp/prawns.

Sexing for redfins is easy the males are red, the others are harder, females are usually pale and mature males have a coloured band on the first dorsal.

Bluegills like high flow and are easily outcompeted so best to be kept in a species tank.

As with all natives cold water is the key.

Breeding with bluegills giants and redfins has not been acheived (to my knowledge)

EDIT: actually blueether might have succeeded?

For food yes they can eat commercial foods but high protein and high quality is best. A better diet is bugs, heart from the supermarket or butcher and raw shrimp/prawns.

Sexing for redfins is easy the males are red, the others are harder, females are usually pale and mature males have a coloured band on the first dorsal.

Bluegills like high flow and are easily outcompeted so best to be kept in a species tank.

As with all natives cold water is the key.

Breeding with bluegills giants and redfins has not been acheived (to my knowledge)

EDIT: actually blueether might have succeeded?

I believe that common are the only ones the are likely to breed in an aquarium. I had both common and Cran's fry hatch, and one common fry survive in the ~400L. I've raised redfin fry that I caught very small (~4 or 5mm). I doubt that they were big enough to be returning fry in the stream as it was very fast flowing across a beach.

Bluegills and giants probably, but havent heard of anyone being successfull. Uplands can.

I cant see Giant bullies breeding in an aquarium. I know that some redfin, common and Cran's don't go to the sea even though they have access to it. Not sure on the bluegill and uplands.