Betta Compatibility

randomsam1001

Hi guys, thanks for all the support with my Siamese Fighter post in diseases, and he is much better now. I am now thinking about giving him some mates. I have been looking at Celestial Pearl Danios, and correct me if I'm wrong, but they are compatible. The main reason for the tank mates is that I would like a fish cleaning up any food the Siamese Fighter leaves behind, but not a catfish. The problem now is if CPDs, or any other fish (not catfish) will eat betta food.

Thanks, Sam

Any fish will eat betta food however depending on what you feed, some possibly should not. Fish apart from catfish will compete for your fighters food. If you want a cleanup crew you need a ground dwelling fish like a cory or bn.

The bigger issue will be whether or not your siamese fighter is willing to allow another fish to share his tank. In nature fighters are solitary fish, in captivity it depends on the individual fishes temperament.

Loaches are too active for fighters who are used to being a solitary fish. They also nip.

Your tank size will depend on the size of the cory as a group of 6 minimum is best and if you want to see them as they should be. If its big enough there are a wide range of cory that are colourful - you are best to google and have a look. Some of the ones we have are panda, sterbai, julii, adolfi, peppered, bronze, emerald green. Pygmy are small, but you will need plants to deter the fighter from nipping at them.

The pygmy cory I had a while back all tended to swim about half way up the tank rather than stay on the substrate. Whether that is the norm I don't know but hopefully the fighter will leave them alone. Tank size will be fine for them and the fighter.