Hello

cat

I bought another discus today. (Sucker for punishment!!) It was only $50 and about 6 inches. It is dwarfing my two little ones but getting along fine. It it about three years old and has a thing called a hole in the head but the guy says it has had it since he bought it and it has survived. I have heard this fatal. Is it true? Can it be treated or is it genetic? It is a lovely fish and the guy said if it died in the next month he would give me my money back so he is sure it will survive. Dont care really. At least it has a good home until that day comes. :D:D

I am going to have a look at that discus website and see if I can find anything about this hole in the head thing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my readings about HITH it apperently can be treated by using treatments that kill protozoans, in this case especially hexamita. These protozoans often exist as a low level infection in the intestines of a variety of fish, notably cichlids, which normally do no harm. However if under stress from what ever reason these parasites can multiply and the fish can develop HITH. Medications include dimetridazole and metronidazole (vet prescription only, and I don't know if you can get them in NZ). Other treatments also may exist. But it is generally best to create an environment for your fish that is healthy so they don't develop it in the first place or so that they can recover naturally (this knowledge is taken from 'The interpet manual of fish health')

From my experience with the disease (in an angel fish), it never got very bad but by improving its environment the symptoms went away (biggest problem I think was that it was getting bullied).

I think if you treat this discus well and it is happy it probably should recover as long as it is not too far down the track.

Thanks for the info. I understand that this fish has been like this for years so not sure it will get better (cured) but I will try not to let it get worse. I have read the sites you recommended and will try to get some medication but I may wait to see if it gets worse before treating it.

It doesnt look like it is still infected. Looks like an old scar. Bit like when we have surgery and it is half way healed. Bit fleshy but healed over. (Excuse the definition but quite heard to describe). I would say that it is ok then. Phew!!!! I dont mind having a disfigured discus :D It is just beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cat

Metronodazole is the base for Flagyl so you should be able to get a script from your doctor after you explain what you want it for and he stops laughing after he gets off the floor

The scars are now called character marks from past macho encounters

its too bad they won't heal completely but

For doseage check this site

Hole in Head Treatment

Chris 8)

I work for my doctor so he is used to some odd requests. When I wanted a couple of Erythromycin pills he didn't have any so asked one of the hospital doctors for them. That doctor asked

"One of the dogs sick?"

to which my doctor replied

"No, my receptionist has algae!"