Shirmp

Benjansss

+1

From reading, the larval stage occurs in salt environment (I'm sure I also read they feed on suspended phytoplankton) and the post larval stages move further inland.

I've caught then ~160 km inland win the waikato river catchment, and seen them above small waterfalls in other places in fast boulder streams. The ones I have had hatch in an aquarium were in with bully fry I was raising - needless to say the larvae were eaten. The larvae were free swimming ie they never settles on the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...
Could be done, but I doubt that some random guy on trademe could do it. You would need 2 tanks (fresh and salt) and lots of phytoplankton...

Do they *need* to spend time in saltwater? The reason for them them having a sea/estuary stage is probably more because of the lack of food for young shrimp in streams and rivers.

Do they *need* to spend time in saltwater? The reason for them them having a sea/estuary stage is probably more because of the lack of food for young shrimp in streams and rivers.

That is a possibility, and one I have thought about. I would have tried to raise the ones I had but the redfin bully fry were more important at the time - yes I have 2 that have been raised in freshwater :f77: